Part Twenty

A/N: How great am I? I don't actually remember when the last time I posted was, but, it hasn't been more than two weeks, has it? I don't really know, but, yeah, here you go! xD Can you guys beleive it? Part Twenty. Man, I didn't think I'd make it to twenty. Honestly, it's the first time it's ever happened. Twenty chapters. Wow. I'm proud of myself, and it's all thanks to you guys. You all are my drive to keep going, and I really appreciate you all! Dedication for a friend of mine who recently (finally, mind you) got caught up in reading this xD

Oh, and, the monster's head is a long as Link is tall, so that gives you an idea of how big it is :) Happy reading!

- - -

Part Twenty

Link jumped and rolled to the right at the last second, landing in a kneeling position, and he watched as the red Zardence slam its head into the closed door. Shaking it off, the Zardence looked around, and when it caught sight of him off to the side, it narrowed its eye at him as it slinked back to its first position.

It was then that he realized it was protecting something, and by the looks of it, it was a small wooden chest. He knew he'd have to find a way to get to it.

The room was big enough so that the Zardence couldn't reach him in every corner of the room without leaving the chest, but he doubted he'd be able to trick the thing so that he could get to it before the Zardence could.

Interrupting his planning, the Zardence lunged at him for a second time, and he dodged it easily, but he was still on his guard. He knew from the first time he'd seen them that the Zardence could move much faster than this one was moving.

The third time it tried to attack him, he was too far into the wide right corner of the room for it to guard the chest and reach him at the same time. When the monster missed for a third time, snapping at thin air, it finally turned and moved faster than he could see clearly and slammed it's skull into his chest, sending him flying parallel with the right wall of the room.

His back hit the wall with a thud and he let out a grunt of pain before he slid to the ground, his body resting at the base of it. He looked up to see the Zardence slithering toward him, and it was coming up fast.

Quickly, he scrambled to his feet and sprinted along the back wall, barely getting out of the way as the Zardence slammed it's massive head into the wall for a third time. Reeling, it shook itself, yellow eye narrowing in on Link's figure. It let out a startlingly high pitched hiss, loud enough for him to have to cover his ears. It lashed out at him, this time only bringing it head forward, fangs snapping a foot or two from his face. He inched back, glancing around. The room was nearly bare. Vines littered the walls, some green with life, others withered and brown, and the wooden chest sat in the middle of the room, but that was it. No weapon to speak of, unless he could somehow use the dead vines, but he knew they wouldn't hold up, would hardly scratch the monster's thick scaly skin.

He then searched for an escape route. With no windows, and no other doors leading out, his gaze traveled to the door he'd come from. With a sickening turn of his stomach, he realized that long, thick, metal bars had sealed the door shut. There was no escape. He was trapped.

Lurching back into action, he dodged the Zardence's attack, moving towards the center of the room, jumping and then skidding to a halt a few feet from the wooden chest.

Noticing his actions, the Zardence moved so quickly Link couldn't even see it, and wrapped its long body around the chest. Having moved so quickly, it had whipped its tail into his chest, effectively driving him away from the chest, skidding backwards. He almost hit the wall, but the traction of his boots stopped him as he leant slightly forward, clutching at his chest.