57. IRL

"Ian says you've been out doing secret birthday stuff," Cece said to Paul over the phone.

"What kind of secret birthday stuff?" he asked.

"C'mon, you have to tell me, it's my birthday!"

"If I was doing some secret birthday stuff, I wouldn't be able to tell you about it, would I?" he asked.

"When are you coming home?" she asked, changing the subject. She knew that he'd never admit what he was doing.

"Soon," he promised. "I need to spend some time with the birthday girl."

"Well hurry up!" she said. "I miss you."

***

It was another hour before Paul returned. Cece ran to kiss him as soon as he'd opened the front door.

"Can I have my present now?" she asked.

"Who said I have a present for you?" he joked.

"Please!" she said. He grinned and gave in.

"Fine, maybe I have a present for you..." he trailed off and smiled as her excitement showed.

"What kind of present?" she asked.

"A good one," he said vaguely, making her roll her eyes.

"That's very specific," she said sarcastically, before grinning at him. "Can I have it now?"

"Do you really want it now?"

"Yes, I really want it now."

"Are you sure you want it now?" he teased.

"I'm very sure I want it now," she said, laughing.

"Ok, go sit in the living room and close your eyes," he said.

She obliged immediately, placing her hands over her eyes like a child playing hide and seek.

"No peeking!" he warned.

"I'm not peeking, I promise!" she said, giddy with excitement. What could this amazing present possibly be?

Paul walked into the room with her present in his hands. He held onto it tightly.

"OK, open your eyes,"

Cece immediately saw what her amazing present was, and couldn't have been more thrilled.

"Oh my god!"