Chapter 57: Treatment

"Wha- What's going on?" Y/n asked as they fluttered open their eyes, an IV was in their arm and two plastic tubes traveled into their nose

"Y/n! You're awake!" Steven jumped up from the seat in between his father and Garnet, "H-How are you feeling?"

"My eyes feel like they're gonna bleed," Y/n groaned

"They found some black bumps on your hand! Near the burn mark thing," Steven told

"What does that mean?" Y/n asked

"We don't know yet," Greg said, "They stuck a big needle in it and got this weird liquid stuff,"

"The doctor will be here in a minute," Garnet told

"Is Lapis okay?" Y/n asked as they tried to sit up, but a sharp pain in their chest kept them down

"She's fine," Garnet assured, "She's just tired,"

"If she asks to see me when she wakes up... Don't let her see me like this," Y/n pleaded

"W-what should we tell her?" Steven asked

"You're awake," Dr. Maheswaran commented as she walked in with a file, "I have some news..."

"Good or bad?" Steven asked

"More on the bad side, but could be worse," Dr. Maheswaran told, "You have Anthrax,"

"Anthrax?!" Y/n and Greg gasped

"What's Anthrax?" Steven asked

"A bacteria caused disease," Dr. Maheswaran told, "There hasn't been a recorded case of Anthrax in the United States since 2000,"

"Isn't Anthrax lethal?" Greg panicked

"Usually," Dr. Maheswaran said, "The beginning symptoms are similar to the flu, then comes a black skin lesions around the infected area, after that comes respiratory distress, which leads to respiratory failure, but luckily Y/n contracted a primitive form of cutaneous Anthrax, the least lethal kind and the most common... Unfortunately, the disease has progressed very far,"

"What does that mean for Y/n?" Steven bit his nails

"Antibiotics won't get rid of all the poison running through Y/n's system," Dr. Maheswaran, "We're going to have to perform a more... drastic treatment,"

"Define drastic," Garnet said

"We're going to have to pump Y/n full of anti-toxins and antibiotics," Dr. Maheswaran told, "The anti-toxins are akin to many corrosive acids,"

"Isn't that gonna hurt?" Greg winced

"Want me to give it to you frankly?" Dr. Maheswaran asked

"Might as well," Y/n sighed

"It's going to be the worst pain you'll ever experience in your life. You're going to wish the Anthrax killed you," Dr. Maheswaran told, "But afterwards you'll be back to normal with no damage to any of your body,"

"Awesome," Y/n coughed, covering their mouth with their hand, when they brought their hand back, there was splatters of blood on their fingers, "Coughing blood, even better..."

"We have to begin treatment immediately," Dr. Maheswaran said

"T-there has to be another way!" Steven stammered

"Can't you at least give them some anesthetics?" Greg asked

"It would interfere with the antibiotics," Dr. Maheswaran shook her head, "If it's any consolation Y/n will most likely pass out from the pain within an hour or two,"