|5|

"You want to tap into that person's psyche. Pay close attention to mannerisms, body language, speech patterns, etc. While- Miss Hernandez," Professor Frangipane interrupts herself.

The small Latina sat next to me with her head down, snoring lightly. She didn't budge, so I nudge her a little. "Ally, wake up," she slowly lifts her head to look at me with a groan.

Her face was red with a few line prints caused by her backpack. Her eyes were also red. She looks ahead of her, straightening her posture.

"I'm sorry, Professor Frangipane," she says, running her hand through her hair. The professor crosses her arms over her chest, "Mhm, I see someone was at Mr. Brown's house party last night."

Ally furrowed her eyebrows sadly, "N-no, I-,"

"Just make sure you're prepared for this week's exam. It'll be very difficult," she says to the rest of the class.

That made my blood boil slightly. She never let anyone explain themselves. It's utterly ridiculous. As she drones on about the exam, I look over at Ally.

"Hey, are you okay?" She smiles sadly, shrugging, "I'll be fine. Long as I graduate on time." I squint at her, "Work?" She nods, "Yeah, Zara called in sick and Dinah actually was sick so I had to cover the entire place last night."

I nod in understanding, "I could help you." I offered with a smile. She shakes her head, "Lauren, no, it's-,"

"Ally, it's clear you don't get enough sleep anyway and I don't have classes on Wednesdays and Thursdays. I can cover you, it isn't a big deal."

She gives me a huge grin, "Thank you so much, Lauren. I owe you one." I shrug, "No need to. Just helping out a friend."

-----

I told Ally and Dinah I'd stay until the other workers come in at 9. It's 5:15; a quarter past opening. I replaced the coffee beans, added sugar packets to the holders on the tables, started baking the muffins, and even washed the cups out.

I've been here since 4, so I had a lot of time to do it. I put my hair up in a ponytail as the first customer comes in.

A few customers came and went, mostly professors since it's still very early for the students. They come at around 6:45, approximately. I admit, it's difficult filling in a few orders at once, but I managed without much fuss.

Though, it's almost time for my professor to walk through that door.

As I was wiping the countertop where I spilled chocolate drizzle, I hear a vaguely familiar feminine voice.

"Excuse me?"

I look up, seeing it's that girl Y/N was in here with a few weeks ago. I give her a warm smile, "Hi, what can I get you?" She glances at the chalkboard behind me, humming lightly.

"I'd like a hazelnut creamed coffee with three sugars, whipped cream and chocolate drizzle. Also a blueberry muffin," she finishes, handing me her card.

I nearly froze when I realized that it almost perfectly matches Y/N's usual order. I shoot her another smile, typing in her order. "Okay, that'll be $9.85. Cash or credit?"

"Credit," she says, as I take her card from her and swipe it.

"Alright, your order will be done in 10-15 minutes, that OK?" She nods, "I'm in no rush. My mother's taking my kids to school."

I kink an eyebrow as I start on her coffee. "You're a mother?" She nods, "Yep, a little girl and my partner's son."

"Wow, I wouldn't have thought. You look so young," I say.