Chapter 40

The first morning rays of sunlight stream in through the window. I wake and sit up in the bed. I look at the clock in my small room. I stand and put on a sweater and jeans. I take a quick glance through the window to see snow piled outside. I open the door into the small hallway. My slippers make footsteps as I walk down the small staircase.

At the bottom of the steps, I make a right into the small kichen. I smile as I see Grayson in the room. He looks up at me as I enter the room. "Good morning, sleepyhead."

I smile at Grayson. I look at the kichen table, devoid of food. "Where's breakfast?"

Grayson shrugs and walks over to the coat rack. "I thought we might go out to IHOP today."

A smile breaks out on my face. "IHOP sounds great."

   Later, we walk through the streets of the small Colorado town Grayson lives in, our stomachs full of pancakes. Despite being bundled in winter layers, the cold still manages to find a way in. I shiver. "Couldn't we have taken your truck?" I ask, shivering in the cold.

Grayson shakes his head. "Roads are too icy. Besides, I don't have my licence yet, only my permit." I shiver once more. Grayson puts his arm around me, pulling me to him. I feel the heat that always seems to radiate off him. "That better?" Grayson asks.

I lean my head on his shoulder. "Yeah."

We walk like that for a while longer. We are the only ones walking through the streets. After a while Grayson speaks up. "I really love having you here."

"I love being here too." I say. "Even though it's not New York." It turns out that everything Zeithman said was true, and he really is my father. Due to that fact, the Union said I wasn't allowed to go back to my parents. They erased all their memories of me. The academy is temporarily closed for repairs after the battle. I needed someplace to go, and Grayson said I could live with him and his family, permanently.

   I look at Grayson. "I actually have a present for you." I say.

He looks at me in suprise. "Really?"

I slip my hand from his for a while to get the present from the big bag I'm carrying. "Close your eyes." I whisper. Reluctantly,  Grayson closes his eyes. I set the gift in his outstretched hands. His eyes fly open as he sees what it is. He holds his sword, fully in one peice. The only indication that it was ever broken is the tiny mark on the blade. "I had it fixed." I tell him.

Grayson gives me a small smile. "Ya know, I have something for you too." Now it's my turn to be suprised, because his lips are on mine. I feel the heat of him. The snow falls around us as we kiss. I forget everything as I fall into his kiss.