Heart Attack

This chapter has NOT been edited.

***

"Shouldn't you be resting?" I asked River once I finally found him after searching the whole hospital. I had woken to an empty bed and although I had first assumed he had left for home, a kind nurse informed me otherwise. 

River turned to me with a smile on his face, "You're awake."

"What are you doing?" I exasperatedly sighed. 

"Seeing some patients. Why?"

He was actually asking why? I apologetically smiled at the patient before pulling him to the side.

"The doctor said you should rest until your arm has healed. Why are you working already?"

"I'm a doctor myself," River began, "I know what not to do to keep my stitches from opening. Besides, it's not a serious injury."

"Not a serious injury?" I scoffed. "You got shot!"

People began turning their heads so River hushed me before pulling me even further away. 

"I'm fine. Really. You should go home and rest."

Being the stubborn person that I am, I huffed and crossed my arms against my chest before saying, "I'm not leaving until you leave." 

River opened and closed his mouth like a stun mullet before groaning and wordlessly going back to work. 

And that was how my day was spent. Literally doing nothing. I occasionally went and complained to River but unfortunately, that didn't work at all. 

"Azra?" what sounded like Heaven voiced out after hours and hours of my day being spent completely bored. 

"Emma?" I grinned at my friend, happy to see a familiar face. "What are you doing here?"

"Check up," she said, pointing down at her stomach. 

I suddenly felt really guilty. 

"I'm so sorry," I apologised, "I have been a horrible friend. I've been neglecting you." 

Emma laughed and punched me in the arm. 

"No need," she said as she took a seat beside me. "I've been living in your house so I'm more than grateful." 

Ever since I started working with Daniella, I would only see Emma briefly during the mornings before work. In fact, the last time I had actually really spoken to her was when she had opened up about her pregnancy. 

"How are you?" 

She shrugged but smiled. "I'm good. Well at least I'm trying."

I didn't have a reply for that. In fact, I couldn't think of a single thing to say at all. 

"I'm actually planning to move to Europe for a little while," Emma said as she stared down at her hands.

"You're doing what?" I gasped. "Why?"

"I can't tell my parents about this pregnancy and the best way to hide it from them is by leaving their sight."

"And then what? You're just going to rock up with a baby?" 

Emma shrugged once again, "I don't have any better ideas." 

We fell into another silence. No one uttered a word as we just looked at one another. 

"Have you had any contact with the baby's dad?" I whispered. I don't know why I was whispering but I felt as if saying it out loud would somehow break her.