23

When one door closes another one opens. That is what I'm calling this newfound friendship. Skylar isn't all that bad when she isn't moaning and Valarie, well she is an amazing girl and now I'm having second thoughts about this whole Miguel thing. I don't want to be responsible for her disliking him more than what she already does if things go horribly wrong. I painted a picture that he is going through mood swings back at the house because she has not responded to his phone calls. However, I don't really know if the sudden mood swings were because of her, but I'm sticking with it. We bonded over some simply boy-bashing girl talk, fashion—which I really didn't care too much, the hottest music, and movies out so far.

Building that friendship foundation—is something I will have to do very carefully and wisely after the whole Raven situation.

"There is a party tonight; we should totally go." Skylar finally says it after two hours of not mentioning a peep about it. I wasn't too sure she was even going to bring it up at all. I thought she almost forgot about it—almost.

"You two can go, I think I'm going to stay here. Plus I need some sleep after that practice I just had to endure." Valarie looks at me to help her out and I can see Skylar from my peripheral vision, giving me the same look. I know I probably shouldn't, but I do want to see Miguel happy again.

"You know I think it would be a great idea if you came. I could really use some friends there. The guys are great to be around just not when there is a party involved. So come on Val this would make my night if you could join us. You guys can even sleep over if you like."

"That sounds like a plan to me. We can get white girl wasted on the brown liquor!" Skylar jumps on the bed shouting over and over.

Valerie rolls over on her bed, rolling her eyes. "Only going for moral support, but I'm not spending the night. I don't want Miguel thinking anything."

Skylar screams with excitement. Persuading her wasn't all that hard unless you count the hour and a half bonding time, to get her to open up and enjoy some female company. My phone rings and it's my mother. Why is she calling at this time of night? I excuse myself from the room.

Hi mom. You're calling pretty late.

I've been swamped at the restaurant all weekend and this week seems to be just as bad. How is everything going at school? Did you book your flight toLA yet?

Yes, mom. Everything is booked and I got a hotel near the area, within ten-minute walking distance. Are you and dad still coming? And school is going great. I've made some really great friends, I will miss them dearly when I leave. I hate that I'm lying to my parents. I have no clue if I will be the one chosen for the academy.

Your father and I will be there waving our chefs' hats for you.

Mom, please don't. I will die of embarrassment. Remember you and dad said you will keep a low profile there. Remember?

Yes, I remember. Look, sweetie, I have to get going. Your father and I will see you next week. Love you more Buttercup.

Love you the most mom.

"Hey, are you finished?' Skylar pops her head out of the room. "We need your opinion on what to wear?"

I never understood this about us girls. We can dress every day for class, but when it's time for a party or date we need every one of our friends to help us. I will never understand and don't think I will further inquire why we do it—it's just a thing that we do.

"Alright, but we have to make it quick. I need to change too."

"You can just wear one of my outfits." Valarie offers.