Chapter 54

Although Grace was so exhausted and tired from all what happened in the last two days, her mind just wouldn't let her sleep. Usually simply Elijah's presence calmed her enough to find peace, but not today. At least he slept soundly beside her. 

It was way after midnight when she decided that she needed to stand up and move a bit. Doing nothing only let her thoughts divert to the trauma of Kol's and Jeremy's deaths and she couldn't cry anymore. 

Carefully, she wiggled out of Elijah's embrace, eager not to wake his light sleep. She spared a loving look at him, feeling guilty because she put him through such a hard time. He also was grieving and she should be there for him, too, but she couldn't. Grace couldn't let him in right now, she was just so broken on the inside, she was afraid that it would consume him, too. 

Without making any sound, she rushed out of the room and down the hallway. But when she reached the stairs leading downwards, her sensitive senses were triggered by a light noise coming from the kitchen. It wasn't Nik, as she could hear his steady breath coming from his room. 

Was a thief or any other criminal really stupid enough to break into the household of the most powerful creatures walking the earth and steal from them. A cruel smile passed her face when she thought about the meal she would have. 

Within the blink of a second she was in the kitchen and had the intruder grabbed on the throat. It was then when she noticed that she knew the face that was in front of her. Hayley. 

She couldn't help but feel a little disappointed that the chance of fresh snack just faded. With a frown, she let go of the werewolf and put on the light. 

"What are you doing here?" 

Hayley suddenly blurted, holding her throbbing neck. Grace just lifted an eyebrow, still confused about the fact that the werewolf was here. Her gaze was nervous, but she didn't look like she came in here uninvited. Grace didn't her assume her to be that stupid. 

"Um, I live here..." 

She lifted a brow at the younger girl. 

"Uh...yeah...I forgot...um, I was just trying to find something to eat." 

Hayley bit her lower lip and it was then when it dawned on Grace. Of course. Sighing, she rolled her eyes. Did he really have a fling with this insecure, snappy werewolf and then didn't even give her some kind of dignity back by offering her some food and eat it with her? The romantic and decent streak in the family obviously was something only Rebekah and Elijah inherited. Must've come from Mikael's side, which was a pretty ridiculous thought. 

Anyways, Nik definitely had a lecture and some comments to fear in the morning. 

"You can choose between blood bags and pizza. Sorry, didn't have time to shop." 

With an amused smile on her face, she opened the fridge and freezer and held up a blood bag and a frozen pizza. Hayley scrunched her nose in disgust when she looked at the blood bag, to which Grace laughed.

"Great, more for me." 

She turned on the oven and put the pizza inside while opening the blood bag and drinking from it. The young werewolf watched her with a furrowed brow, she obviously hadn't often seen vampires feed before. 

Elijah told her about the natural hostility vampires and werewolves held for each other. Grace could feel it in herself, the instinct to stay away from the wolf. With Nik she felt it more faintly, but it wasn't so prominent that it would influence her behavior. 

"Well, seems like you lied to me. You told me that you don't like men with that much depth and then you choose freakin' Niklaus Mikaelson to bang?"