Chapter 17

Why is my life so complicated?

I stared at the phone in disbelief, I was on the cover with none other than Mr. Reid.

The article was titled; Derick Reid has a intimate moment with last nights mystery beauty.

Derick Reid had spent the majority of the night with this dazzling beauty who was rumored to be his assistant.

Rumor has it they even left together, is this another one of Derick's play toys or is she the real deal?

PLAY TOY?! PLAY TOY?! I am a dignified assistant! I signed up to be an assistant and I'm going to stay as a assistant!

"Julie, breath, you are turning red, you need to breath" Nina said, trying to calm me down.

Breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out, inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale.

I exhaled once more and took out my phone.
"Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to make a call and see if Mr. Reid has seen this stupid article and if he's going to take it down"

They all nodded and I walked to the kitchen and dialed Mr. Reid's number.

"Ms. Downs?"
"Sir"
"Ms. Downs I am driving at the moment so if you could give me a minute"
"Of course sir"

I waited until he spoke up again and I really wish he didn't.

"Ms. Downs, I need you at the office right now"
"Sir, it's Sunday today"
"I'm aware of it being Sunday Ms. Downs, remember you are hired to be at my beck and call, do you hear me? Now get to the office or you're fired!"

Inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale- oh f*ck this!

I stepped out of the kitchen and into the living room where my family were confused by my sudden change of mood, I think Mr. Reid is really starting to rub off on me.

"Leo, get the car ready I need to go back to work" I sighed.
"What? why?"
"Mr. Reid has work for me to do"
"Can't he wait till tomorrow?"
"Do you need me to repeat his exact words?! He said get to the office or you're fired!"

"Well we'll have to cut this visit short, mamá, Nina" Leo groaned.
We hugged both of them and made our way to the car.

"Drive safely! And don't start singing in the car!" She shouted from the porch.
"Yes mamá!" we answered in unison.

When we were a safe distance away from the house we turned on the radio.

"Didn't she just tell you not to start singing in the car?" Leo smirked.
"I guess I'm not the model daughter after all"

We spent the rest of the drive just like the first one, when we were nearing the city a thought occurred to me.

I'm not wearing an office attire.

I'll be late if I go back and change, my hair is fine, I just need to sprint through the lobby to the elevator and straight to my office.

"You look distressed"
"Because I am, I'm not wearing the right clothes"
"Listen just go and work, that's it, you don't need to care about what people think" he said, simply.

"Did you forget the fact that I have an entire article written about me being intimate with a boss who has a fan club of both girls and guys!"

"Hide your face"
"With what? A fan?" I scoffed.
"Your hood" he said with distaste, not liking my tone.
"You are a genius!" I really am turning into the second Mr. Reid with the whole mood switch.
"No, you were just too stupid to think of it"