CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE: POSSESSED (4/5)

Kas and Mack shared one of the red sofas overlooking the lounge while RoboWorm stood in the corner, all of them wanting to keep the Chains where they could see them.

Remi had taken to crouching on a table while Otto stood in front of the door with his arms folded. Vima, meanwhile, paced back and forth like she'd been set to guard mode, her eyes locked on Kas in an unblinking stare.

'Peggy,' Mack said. 'Play some music.' An old Belvan rock song that Kas hadn't heard in decades started playing from the walls. 'Louder.' Mack repeated the command until the music was almost deafening. Inside the WASP mask, however, Kas was able to dampen the music to a dull hum. She raised a hand and traced a line with her finger down her visor, activating the veil.

'Astrid,' she whispered.

Nothing.

'Astrid, you there?'

The yellow firefly blossomed in front of her.

'Hi, Kas,' she answered.

'I don't have long. Swanne's taking us to the IRIS but she's left the Infinity Fighter behind on the Pegasus.'

'I know, I've been observing. I thought she would take it but I didn't account for her completing the bio-mechs as fast as she did.'

'So how do we get you onto her ship?'

'I don't think that's the best option anymore. The plan should still work so long as I'm on the same ship as her.'

'You just said that wasn't an option.'

'Her ship isn't - but it doesn't have to be her ship.'

'You mean you get her on the Pegasus?'

'She doesn't have to stay long; she just needs to be here when we reach the IRIS.'

'But we're almost there!'

'I know. You'll have to do it soon.'

Kas noticed Vima had stopped pacing and was staring back at Kas like she knew something was wrong.

'I've gotta go,' Kas said.

'Good luck.' The firefly disappeared. Kas disabled her veil and leaned towards Captain Mack.

'We need to get her on the Pegasus,' she muttered.

Mack looked at her like she'd just slapped him. 'When?'

'Now.'

Mack thought about it for a long moment before suddenly standing up. He stopped the music and looked at Vima.

'I want to speak to Governor Swanne,' he announced.

Vima just stared right back at him, her eyes a dull green.

'Get me Governor Swanne, now.'

Nothing.

With Vima not co-operating, Mack tried asking Otto and Remi, but he may as well have tried talking to the table. He got frustrated.

'Are you idiots even in there? Or are you all just braindead puppets?'

Kas detected movement in her peripherals and looked at Otto by the door. He was stock still but she was sure he'd flinched. She kept her eyes on him as she stood up next to Mack.

'Bet you guys wish I'd taken you to Carcem now, don't you?' she taunted, and she thought she saw a flicker of anger in Otto's eyes. 'What's it like, being locked inside your own bodies, knowing Swanne can take control of you whenever she likes?'

This time, Otto's whole head twitched. Mack realised what she was doing and decided to help her out.

'Calm yourself, Wax. Don't want to make your master angry again.'

Otto's fingers curling inwards, trying for fists.

'Kkkkk...'

The sound coming from Otto's throat sounded as painful as it looked, like he was trying to swallow a rusty razor blade.

'Kkkkk... kkkk...'

His head twitched again as his jaw stretched open and a set of shiny black teeth gleamed in the light. He stayed like that for several seconds before his eyes began to glow, then he closed his mouth and became calm.

'That's enough,' he said. His eyes dimmed and passed back to Vima, apparently Swanne's bio-mech of choice. She glared at Kas and Mack.

'You did that on purpose,' she said.

'We were just trying to get your attention,' Mack replied. 'I have information I know you'd be keen to have. I'm willing to exchange it for our release.'

Vima laughed. 'There's nothing you can possibly tell me that will persuade me to let you go.'

'Not even the location of Serez Rhaspa?'

Kas didn't need to pretend to look shocked - it was written all over her face. And even through Vima's metal mask, Swanne's surprise was just as evident.

'That is quite a statement, Captain.'

'He's still alive. I'm prepared to lead you to him, but only if you guarantee you'll let us go.'

'Once we get to Eidol, I can get whatever information out of you that I want.'

'Only if I don't kill myself first.'

'You would take your own life?'

'Better that than become another one of your pets. Do we have a deal?'

'It sounds too much like a trick to me. How can I possibly trust you?'

'If I remember right, you've got a portable biometric scanner on that ship of yours. If you want to know if I'm lying, all you have to do is ask.'

'That would mean coming aboard your ship.'

'That's usually how it works.'

'We only have half-an-hour before we reach these mysterious coordinates of yours. Let's wait until after then.'

'I might've changed my mind by then. This is a one time offer, Governor, and I'm already getting cold feet about it. Half-an-hour's enough time to ask a few questions. Let's just get it over with. Unless you're scared of something?'

Vima's eyes narrowed while Swanne thought it over. Kas could almost picture her on her ship, her eyes glazed over as she contemplated what possible trap Captain Mack was laying for her. Ultimately, it was just too tempting.

'I will see you shortly.'