⚜️3⚜️

{Sophie}

I was busy reading through the resume of a potentially new employee ,when my work phone rang. Without seeing the name, I bought it to my ears,

"Sophie D-Alice speaking" I said my usual greeting when my mothers squeaky voice, annoyingly rang in my ear,

"Yes! finally, I talk to the woman who's so busy to talk to the lady who gave birth to her, her very own mother" and there started my mothers melodrama.

I bought my left hand and massaged my temples as I put the phone on loudspeaker and turned the page of the resume.

"You lady, are in trouble! You are meant to be here in 20 minutes and if I don't see you, trust me, I will not eat a morsel of food" she said stubbornly.

Ah! I had forgotten it was Tuesday today. I was meant to go for dinner at my parents house which I must say was a 30 minute taxi drive from the office.
Coming back to my annoying mother, 
who exactly was she threatening? I was not like my father who got affected by her false words.

"I'd like to see that happen mother" I said nonchalantly as I continued reading the  resume of the next head of production.

"What! What did you just say? Look at her audacity William! She wants her mother to starve!" I sighed as I heard her complain to my father. 

The clever woman had called from my fathers phone definitely knowing I'd reply to him. What she didn't  know was my father didn't call me any time before 9 and it was just going to be nearly 6.

" Tell her to leave the office this instant William. I don't want to have dinner without her and I'm serious when I say I won't" I heard my whining mother as she continued ranting to my father.
How was she 48 years old?
She acted like as if she was still 5.

" Sophie" grunted my father.

Oh so she forced my father to talk to me. Knowing how awkward he might be feeling ,I sat up straight and took the phone to my ear and said,

"I can't make it to dinner, there's a meeting in ten with the HR on the development of the iron sheets and it'll take long."

That's all I had to tell him before I knew he'd convey to my mother that I was not coming. I'd rather let him speak to his wife than I, after all no amount of reasons would convince my stubborn mother that I could not come and my father would rather me die then miss a meeting . Hearing his silent breathing, I knew he had nothing else to say and he was getting impatient, so I quickly cut the phone call and put it on silent.

Freshening a bit by washing my face, I walked out of my office into the meeting room to great the 3 managers of the HR and their secretaries to hear what they had to say. After about an hour, I noticed Alessia and Zoey, another secretory, both kept yawning and  looking at their wristwatches.

Looking at the huge clock on the wall, I  read the time , it was quarter past 7 and they looked like they'd fall asleep any moment, whilst the others were busy fidgeting in their chairs thinking I hadn't noticed .

Wrapping the meeting  in fifteen minutes, I asked  the guards to bring Chinese takeaway for everyone . I watched their delighted expressions as they all got happy about the fact of not going home to cook.

I gave them a small nod as they thanked me a dozen times, but their gratitude was only going to be short lived for I knew my father would have my head for keeping the employees till this late and also buying dinner for them.

I waited till everyone was gone then said goodbye to the two guards and walked down the street towards my apartment.

I hoped the down tenant, Ms Wilkins, hadn't led her kitchen window open. Her nosy cat would venture like a boss into my house and claim the only couch I had. I hurried across the zebra crossing and tightened my grip on my laptop bag.

Finally reaching my house, I couldn't stop but notice, thankfully, the down window was closed.
I scurried to my room and headed for a quick warm bath. I still had to finish another report and it was already 8.

Whilst in the middle of a sentence ,I lifted my vibrating phone and started narrating todays story once again to my father . He had  forgotten about the Larsen deal and I was grateful for that.

" How was the meeting" he asked the only question I didn't want him to.

"It was fine, Zoey suggested painting the iron sheets before bringing them here" I said as I waited for him to ask me what time it finished but I was saved by my door bell ringing.

Quickly fixing my black pyjamas , I opened the door to see my fathers chauffeur , Alzer ,standing with a food box in his hands . I raised an eyebrow at him as he smiled and handed me the box saying my mother sent it.

Thanking him , I placed the box on the table and put the phone back on my ear but it was long cut. I walked by the balcony door and caught a glimpse of  the silhouette of my father as Alzer drove them away , so much for bringing a take away for me and so much for being his daughter.

♣️♣️♣️♣️♣️♣️♣️♣️♣️♣️♣️♣️♣️♣️

#Don't forget to Vote, comment and share.

.