CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE: POSSESSED (5/5)

While Kas, Mack and Worm watched Governor Swanne step back onto the Pegasus, the Chains, in turn, watched them.

As usual, Kymeira was at Swanne's heels and in her grip was something that looked like an armoured briefcase. She stepped off the ramp and placed the case on the floor before kicking it towards Mack. It slid to a stop by his feet.

'You know what to do,' she said.

Mack crouched and opened the case. From it, he retrieved a pair of gloves along with a funny looking hat made of wires. He pulled them all on and stood up straight. Swanne's eyes glowed green as her augmented vision came online.

'Full name and title please,' she said.

'Captain Carle J. Mack.'

'What colour are your eyes?'

'Blue.'

'What is five plus five?'

'Ten.'

'What solar system are we currently in?'

'Primi.'

Swanne paused briefly before continuing.

'Where is Serez Rhaspa?'

'I'm not answering that now.'

'Do you know where Serez Rhaspa is?'

'I do.'

Swanne froze for a moment and a look of genuine surprise betrayed her smooth face.

'Is this the same Serez Rhaspa who is in hiding from the Federation?'

'Yes.'

'Is he dead or alive?'

'He's alive.'

'If I agree to let you go, do you promise to take me to him?'

Mack took his time in replying. Even Kas wasn't sure how he was going to answer that one.

'I'll take you there now if you turn this ship around immediately.'

Kas had to hand it to him - it was an excellent play. Daring, but excellent. He'd deflected the question and given it back with bait. Kas felt her pulse quicken as she waited to see if Swanne accepted it.

'You wouldn't be trying to stop me from reaching these mysterious coordinates, would you, Captain?'

'There's nothing out there.'

Swanne smiled. 'You were doing so well. That's the first lie you've told me.'

Mack didn't reply; he didn't need to. Swanne had swallowed the bait, hook and all. There was no chance she was going to turn her ship around when she was so close to finding out what Kas and Mack were hiding.

The Pegasus lurched slightly as the decelerators started to kick in.

'We're here,' Swanne observed. 'Shall we go and take a look?'

Swanne gestured for Kas, Mack and Worm to lead the way. As one, they turned and walked to the cockpit, followed by the Black Chains and then Kymeira and then Swanne.

They were still decelerating when they arrived in front of the viewport and so far all they could see were dozens upon dozens of Wraiths gathered in formation - except for those which were tethered to the Pegasus, of course.

Kas felt the freighter start to tremble ever-so-slightly as it slowed and a rabble of butterflies invaded her stomach. She stared into the eternal night, unsure exactly what it was about to reveal... and then a speck of light appeared - a tiny blue dot in the centre of the viewport that was growing steadily larger.

The IRIS...