Chapter Twenty Eight

Whenever I saw Ashton for the rest of the day, I would receive a breathtaking smile and a wink. I would always give him a small smile in return. The tense atmosphere that I felt this morning seemed to dissipate into something more calm and content.

By the time gym came around, everyone knew that someone pulled the fire drill. The rumors that were going around all centered around different people who could have pulled it. Ashton's name came up more than a few times and it seemed that he was the most likely one who pulled it.

I didn't know what to feel over that piece of information. If he did pull it, and popular opinion seems to think he did, did he only pull it to talk to me? I couldn't help but feel a little giddy at the thought that Ashton only pulled the fire drill to talk to me. But what was said in that classroom only confused me.

Shaking my head to clear my thoughts, I finish changing into my gym clothes. I walk out of the changing room and walk over to where Katherine is sitting. Walking up to her, she seems to be in a deep conversation.

"No, it would make sense. No one saw Ashton at the fire drill. He pulled it." Katherine was saying. I smile, knowing she's right, but try to hide it so no one gets suspicious.

"Evie, where do you come in with who pulled the fire drill?" Katherine turns towards me.

I pretend to think for a second, "I don't know. Remember, I'm new, I don't know anyone."

"You've been here long enough." Katherine waves off my protest.

I pretend to think again, "Well, I guess I could see Ashton pulling it. But why would he?"

"I don't know, a fling in the janitor's closet?" Katherine laughs at her joke. I wince inwardly at her joke, a flash of pain running through my body at the thought of Ashton with another girl.

Confusion follows, why would I be in pain? It's not like this is new information. It's been obvious this whole time, ever since the first day I met him. He likes being with many girls. Another flash of pain runs through me and I can't keep the wince off my face. I don't want Ashton to be with anyone else.

"Evie, you okay?" Katherine asks me, worry clear on her face.

"Yeah, of course. Why wouldn't I be?" I collect myself quickly and put a smile on my face.

"No reason." Katherine says warily, still eyeing me suspicously.

I smile wider, "I'm just thinking about things. Nothing serious, just school stuff."

"Okay." Katherine drags it out. She doesn't look like she believes me.

Mr. Guy shouts at us, starting class. He decides that we need to work on our passes and shooting, so he demands us to pair off. Katherine immediately grabs my arm and tugs me to the soccer balls. Catching Ashton's eye as Katherine pulls me off, he makes a motion between us, asking me if we could be partners. I shrug and point to Katherine.

Katherine and I work oon our passing and goal shooting for the rest of the hour. Though, we do more talking that soccer. A few times I feel someone's eyes on me, but I just brush it off and move on. A few times I catch Ashton looking at me, and he smiles every time.

"Oh, hi Ashton." I almost run into him as I exit the girls changing room. He's leaning against the wall about a foot away from the door, looking like he's waiting for something, or someone.

"Hi Evie." He falls into step beside me as I start walking to the front of the school.

"Were you waiting for me?" I ask, almost hoping he says no but I already know the answer.