three

After fighting with Niklaus for another fifteen minutes, I finally got dressed in a light pink oversized long sleeved tee and a baby blue tube skirt. Slipping on a pair of white converse, I walked back into the bedroom where Niklaus gave me a once over.

"You're wearing that?" He cocked in eyebrow. I frowned and looked at myself in the mirror of the vanity.

"What? Sorry I don't look like I'm going to a casual funeral." I stuck my tongue out at him and pushed past him, walking out the door. He followed behind me, cursing under his breath about 'babysitting a spoiled child.' I spun around on my heel, "Excuse me, Sir-" I poked his chest with my index finger, "I'm nineteen, not nine and I may be spoiled but I'm thankful for everything I have. I don't know what I did to offend you, but I do not deserve this!" I folded my arms across my chest. He was quiet for a moment before he slammed me against the wall, his warm breath fanned over my lips as he spoke.

"Little girl, do not push me." He laughed manically, "I may be in charge of keeping you safe, but I can make anything look like an accident." He pushed himself off the wall and started back down the hallway. My heart was practically in my mouth, my skin slick with sweat. I waited a few moments before following, making sense of how that had made me feel. Scared, obviously. I was undoubtedly scared. But I couldn't hid the conflicting part of me that yearned to still be pressed against that wall.

Ugh.

When I finally made my way into the dining hall, I found myself at the end of a long black table. Just across was Niklaus, who refused to acknowledge me. Alphonse Hale was already dining on the other end of the table, sitting adjacent to four other men, most likely talking about their next scheme.

"Excuse me, Ms. Maddox," One of the house workers said as she approached me, "What would you like for dinner?" I pondered the thought for a moment and then it came to me.

"Pizza, please." I smiled and settled in my chair, but the house worker stayed.

"I'm sorry, but you want pizza? You can have whatever you like Ms. Maddox, we have a very talented chef on payroll." She said, attempting to sway my choice.

"No, I'm good with a plain cheese pizza- A large cheese pizza." I corrected myself, giddy to finally eat. And for a split moment, I thought I saw Niklaus' mouth twitch into a smile. But before I couldn't confirm the phenomenon, his face had turned back into stone. A chair pulled out from beside me and I watched as another man sat down. His hair, like Niklaus', was curly and he sported a slight beard.

"Good evening, Ms. Maddox," He nodded toward Niklaus, "Brother." I looked between the two, only finding their hair to be a shared trait. Noticing my confusion, the brother chuckled. "Different mothers; let me introduce myself, I am Niklaus' older brother, Archor."

"Lovely to meet you." I smiled softly, feeling my stomach growl with impatience.

"Hungry?" Archor chuckled, nodding toward the kitchen door. "Just in time it looks like." The house worker placed the large pizza in front of me and I stared down at it in confusion.

"What is this?" I frown, poking the thick crust with a fork. The pizza looked more like a casserole inside an edible bread dish, filled to the brim with red marina sauce and gooey cheese.

"Chicago style pizza, you've never had it?" Archor asked as he ordered his own food.

"No, actually. I am more accustomed to New York style." I divulged, biting my lip as I debated on where to start with this massive meal.

"New York is a nice city, miss it?" Archor said, suddenly succumbing to a stare down with his younger sibling. I looked between them and nodded awkwardly.

"Uh, yes. I do." I replied simply. To avoid any further conversation, I cut into the pizza and stabbed into the dense crust with a fork, and placed it into my mouth. My taste buds and stomach hummed with happiness. I finished the entire ensemble in no time, and yet my stomach flipped at the sound of dessert. "Yes, please!" I smiled thankfully at the house worker worker who offered me a slice of vanilla cake with a thick buttercream frosting. The two men watched me eat, as if I was a starving child.

"Where are you putting all of that?" Archor laughed as people came to collect my plates. I shrugged, a blush coming to my cheeks in embarrassment. "Don't be bashful, Violet. If you're hungry, eat."

"I'm definitely not hungry anymore." I chortled, patting my belly.

"I'd hope not, you ate half the kitchen." Niklaus said mockingly, his arms crossed on this chest as he avoided my glower.

"Dismiss Niklaus, he's just upset because instead of going on jobs, Dad's assigned him to you." He took my hand and kissed it softly, "If it were me in charge of your safety, Ms. Maddox, I would be more than happy to be in your presence." Archor winked.

"Take her." Niklaus spat, standing in his chair and storming out of the room. I rolled my eyes and sighed, how could I stay here when the guy who's supposed to keep me safe hates me? Wasn't that the point of me coming here; to be safe?

"But in all seriousness, you're safe with Klaus. He'll warm up to you in no time." Archor said as his food arrived.

"I don't like him much either, if I'm being completely honest." I crossed my legs from beneath the table and bit the inside of my cheek.

"He a good guy, Violet, just a hard shell to crack." I wasn't sure about that. But I was hoping that, in time, maybe we could tolerate each other. "So about you..."

"What about me?" I played with my fingers in my lap, not wanting to be shut back in that room just yet.

"Got a boyfriend back in New York? Bet he's worried about you." Archor cut into his steak and dipped a piece of it in some kind of cream sauce.

"No boyfriend." I shrugged, being used to answer this question. Archor's eyebrows shot up in surprise.

"Wow, that's hard to believe. You're gorgeous."

"Well, I wasn't really allowed access to boys growing up. My father insists they are trouble."

"Which they are." Archor chuckled, "How'd he manage to keep guys away from you in school?"

"He didn't have to, I was home schooled. Private tutor." I clicked my tongue against the roof of my mouth and nodded matter-of-factly.

"Pretty protective, I guess." 

"I'm the only daughter, my brothers are just as crazy about keeping me safe, hence why I'm here."

"Okay, so let me get this straight. No public school, no boyfriend. So does that mean..."

"Yeah, I've never been kissed." I nod slowly, but this was my normal. I figured I'd date when my dad dies, it'd be easier than introducing him to a boy I like.

"I meant sex, but I guess the two go hand-in-hand. Damn." He laughed quietly and shook his head. "I feel bad for the guy who gets in your pants for the first time." And quite honestly, me too. Another worker bustled into the dining hall with her hand pressed against the receiver of a telephone.

"Ms. Maddox, it's your mother."