Day Two (Part One)

"Caleb, buddy, do you wanna pour the m&ms in?" Niall asks his son, who's currently playing with his favorite stuffed fox on the floor.

"Yes, p'ease!" Caleb chirps, hopping up off the floor and running into the kitchen.

"Okay, we're only gonna pour about half, okay?"

Caleb pouts. "Want all!"

Niall can't help but laugh. "No, baby, then there would be more m&m than cookie. How about we pour half, and then I'll let you have a couple as a snack, yeah?"

Caleb thinks about this, still frowning, but eventually nods. Niall lifts his son onto his hip, positioning Caleb so he can pour the m&ms into the bowl without missing too badly.

"Good job, kiddo!" Niall cheers once Caleb's finished. He gives the toddler four m&ms, and he cheerfully shoves them in his mouth. Niall starts mixing the dough together when he hears his phone go off. "Caleb, bub, can you get my phone for me?"

Caleb nods, bouncing out of the room. He returns a few seconds later, handing Niall's phone to him.

Zayn (2:24pm): Hey, so when is this bake-off happening? Are you prepared to lose?

Niall hates himself for smiling, and he bites his bottom lip to try and keep the smile from slipping through.

Niall (2:26pm): When works for you? I'm looking forward to beating you!

Zayn (2:27pm): I could this evening. Hazel is willing to be the referee.

Niall (2:28pm): This evening works! And NO WAY, she's biased!

Zayn (2:30pm): She is not biased.

Niall (2:31pm): Zayn.

Zayn (2:32pm): She's not THAT biased.*

Niall (2:34pm): You're a dork.

Zayn (2:35pm): A dork you think is hot.

Niall has no idea how to respond to that, so he just puts his phone down, covering his face with his hands. He has no idea what he's doing, and he's so flustered it's ridiculous.

Zayn (2:45pm): Update, I found someone unbiased to be our referee. How does 6pm sound?

- - -

"Daddy, one m&m, p'ease?" Caleb whines, wriggling on Niall's hip. It's chilly out, and the tiny boy has most of his face covered by his scarf, but somehow he managed to tug it down far enough to be able to speak clearly enough for his father to understand.

"Once we're inside, okay, baby?" Niall asks, hoisting him up higher.

"'Kay. Can I ring bell?"

"Sure." Niall leans forward and Caleb pushes the bell, squealing with delight. They can hear a bunch of voices all speak at once from inside, and then the door opens. A tiny little boy wearing a sweater covered with snowmen pulls the door open, squinting up at the strangers at the door.

"Are you Niall?" he asks, scrunching up his nose.

Niall can't help but laugh, the kid is so cute. "Yes, I am, and this is Caleb. Can you say hi, C?"

Caleb has hidden his face in Niall's neck, but he peeks out a little and waves shyly.

Leo beams. "Hi!"

Caleb's face softens at the bright greeting. "Do you think we can come in? It's kinda cold out here," Niall replies.

"Leo! I told you to wait for me to get the door," Zayn's voice calls, and Niall's heart rate picks up just at the sound, which is annoying. Then there he is, pulling the door open, smiling at Niall. And he's wearing a sweater that says, "Hot Dad," on it, and it honestly takes all of Niall's willpower not to point it out and say that it's absolutely accurate. "Hey, Niall," he grins, and his eyes go stupidly soft, and Niall's pretty sure that he's melted to absolute goop.

"Hey," Niall barely manages to say back, cheeks flushing.

"Come on in," Zayn smiles, stepping back to make way for Niall and Caleb. Caleb wiggles to be set down as soon as they're through the doorway, seeing that Leo and Aurora are watching 101 Dalmatians.

"Daddy, I wanna watch!" Caleb whines, frustrated that he can't run straight over as Niall undoes his boots.

"Okay, kiddo, hang on a second," Niall chuckles, and as soon as his shoes are undone, he runs over and sits next to Aurora on the floor. "Well, I guess they'll get along fine."

"Yeah, I guess so," Zayn smiles, watching as Leo offers Caleb one of the Barbie dolls scattered across the floor. "Oh, hey, there's someone I want you to meet." Niall follows Zayn into the kitchen, still carrying all of his cookie-making ingredients. "Niall, this is my friend, Liam. He's gonna be our unbiased referee."

"If he's your friend is he really unbiased?" Niall asks, narrowing his eyes at Zayn, but he smiles Liam and balances everything in one hand to shake his hand.

"No, I don't even like him that much. If anything, you're cute enough to make me biased for you," Liam responds, grinning.

Niall blushes. "I like him," he tells Zayn, who just shakes his head at Liam. His jaw is tight, and just for a second, Niall sees genuine irritation flicker across Zayn's face before he smiles again.

"You've known me since we were four, Liam, you must like me at least a little."

"Like, 2%," Liam responds, winking at Niall, who blushes again.

"C'mon, Niall, you can put your stuff down in here," Zayn calls, irritated at Niall and Liam's flirtatious banter. Niall follows Zayn into the kitchen, smiling shyly when Zayn catches his eye.

"So...you really think you can beat my peanut butter cookies with your lame sugar ones?" Niall asks, knowing banter will lighten the mood.

It works. "Oh, definitely," Zayn grins, leaning against the counter. He moves just a bit closer to Niall, enough so where if Niall moved, they would touch. "What's the prize for when I win, anyway?"

"If I win, I get to go on a date with Liam," Niall says cheekily, just because Zayn's smirk is making him feel all squirmy.

Zayn's grin falls for a second before he realizes Niall is teasing, and he raises an eyebrow. "Fine by me, but just keep in mind, he's a complete perv."

"I am not! You're full of shit!" Liam calls from the other room, and Niall can't help but laugh, backing away from Zayn.

"You should've seen your face!" Niall giggles.

Zayn rolls his eyes. "Brat." Niall shrugs, since he can't exactly deny that. Suddenly, Zayn points at him. "Hey, you're under the mistletoe."

Niall looks up, and sure enough, it's true. "Okay, winner gets to kiss Liam."

Zayn snorts. "Nope, not doing that again," he answers, and that knowledge twists something in Niall's stomach. Something unpleasant starts to bubble up. "Oh, someone doesn't like knowing that, huh?" He's smirking again, and Niall scowls at him.

"I -- I was thinking of something else!" he lies defensively.

"Uh-huh, sure. Fine, then...if you win I get to kiss you, but if I win, you get to kiss me."

Niall furrows his eyebrows. "That's just gonna result in us kissing each other regardless, you dumbass."

Zayn grins. "Exactly. You in or what?"

Niall scowls at him, blushing. Zayn wants to kiss him. That knowledge just might kill him.