26|| Piper

They all made a break for the doors, which conveniently widened for them to break through. Students sprinted and split down the corridors, each trying to make it to any room...

Piper, Amelia, and Terry had all made sprinted down the same corridor when suddenly, they all ran straight into a brick wall that appeared out of nowhere.

"Holy mother—" Terry swore.

There was a cackle of laughter which was abruptly cut short with a choked and startled gasp. "Oh my god, Piper?"

Piper scrambled up and quickly reached to help Amelia up, who was gripping her nose and yelping, "ow, ow, ow, ow."

A hand seized her. "Piper!" Pansy shrieked. "You're not-- you weren't--"

Piper yanked her arm out of Pansy's grasp. "And so if I was?" She demanded as Pansy grabbed the others and began tugging them down the hall. "To hell if I care what you think about me!"

Pansy stared at Piper, who had given Amelia her Slytherin scarf to mop up the blood. She pursed her lips and looked at Piper with stone in her eyes. Then she shoved them away. "Go to the common room."

"What?" Terry said.

"Go!" Pansy shoved them again, and Amelia took off down the corridor.

"I'm not going," Piper said with a locked jaw. "I'm sticking with my friends. They get punished, I get punished."

Pansy's eye twitched for a moment as she stared at Piper, then she turned away and shouted, "Professor, I've found some more!"

Draco rounded the corner, looking absolutely jubilant. He froze when he saw Piper.

"So this is where you were?" He asked, his voice cold and hurt.

"And why the hell do you care?" Piper demanded furiously.

Draco turned to Terry Boot, who was still standing silently on the side. "Get the hell out!"

Terry shot Piper a look before turning and stalking to the Ravenclaw common room. Piper only wished the others got back safely too, but if Draco and Pansy were both here, then hopefully they were fine.

Pansy nudged Draco and jerked her head to the side. The two stepped away and began to whisper fervently under their breaths. They were both frowning at each other, then finally Pansy shrugged and Draco sighed. They both turned back to Piper, who was standing defiantly with her arms crossed over her Slytherin crest.

"Fine," said Pansy, shooting a last glance at Draco. "We won't turn you in."

"Why not?" Piper asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You're our friend," Draco said.

"Funny ways of showing your friendship," Piper shot back.

"As long as you don't do any of this stuff anymore," Draco continued. "Then you won't be in trouble with Umbridge."

"And why would I care what happened with Umbridge?" Piper asked, her pulse quickening. Something was happening.

"Let's just say Dumbledore might not be the Headmaster for much longer," said Draco with a twisted smile.

Piper immediately opened her mouth to protest, but a thought suddenly ran through her mind. She could protect the others if she was a trusted Slytherin. She very well could be vital in maintaining a small bit of what Hogwarts used to be.

After all, she was a Slytherin. The Sorting Hat said she was sly and cunning. What a great time to prove it right.

Piper clamped her mouth shut and sighed in what she hoped was a resigned sigh. "Fine."