Chapter 37

"Daniel! Give me my phone!" I yell.

Daniel chuckles and runs away with my phone. I huff in defeat and went back to baking my cookies. It's been a while since I've seen Maya or Lidia, so when Lidia asked to babysit Maya, I was more than willing to step up to the job. She's an angel to babysit. I don't see how she needs a babysitter and Daniel doesn't.

"Boys are dumb" Maya mutters.

I send her a sly smile. "It doesn't get any better"

"What doesn't get any better?"

I turn around to see Daniel leaning up against the fridge with my phone hanging from his hand. I narrow my eyes at him and turned around toward the counter, not bothering to answer him.

The past month and a half I've actually been spending it with Daniel, Jayce, James, Willa, and Violet. But mostly with Daniel. I'm pretty surprised how fast everything turned out. From all the times we've spent together, I think our friendship is somewhat back. After my gymnastics practice he would pick me up and take me to the Dinner to get a smoothie.

Him and Ky seem to have become acquainted with each other. Well, they kind of had to. Since Ky has always been there for me, I couldn't just leave him -because he was my best friend- Daniel finally got it through his thick head that Ky and I only saw each other as friends. Ky had his eye on someone else anyway.

But in all, everything seemed to be solving itself out and I couldn't be more thankful.

Behind me, I hear footsteps coming my way and felt a warm, tall presence stand. An old sensation that I've never felt in so long erupts throughout my body. Tingles from the small of my back make their way up, making my heart beat faster...quicker. Then a pair of muscular arms wrap around my waist. My breath hitches in the back of my throat, making me stop in the middle of shaping a cookie.

"If you really want your phone back, just come get it" he whispers into my ear.

I calm my breathing and came back to my senses. I jab my elbow back into his stomach catching him off guard. He puffs out a hard breath of air and stumbles back a bit.

"What was that for?" He asks.

Again, I do not answer and continue to shape the cookie dough.

"Are you ignoring me?"

I don't answer again.

I suddenly feel a poke to my side resulting me dropping the cookie dough. I feel another poke, then another. Laughter escapes my lips as I turn around and try to push him away, but he keeps going.

"Daniel! S-s-stop!" I try to say in between laughs.

"Not until you talk to me" he continues to jab at my sides.

"Ok! Ok! I give!" I surrender. "Just stop!"

He removes his hands from my sides and smirks down at me.

"I win" he says cockily.

I roll my eyes at him. "For now" I respond. I walk to the sink so I can wash my hands. Afterward, I turn back around and held out my hand.

"Give me my phone" I say sternly.

He rolls his eyes and holds out my phone for me to take. I smile up at him and just as I was about to grasp my phone, he lifts his hand over his head.

My jaw drops before I narrow my eyes.

"Like I said before, if you want your phone, you have to come get it"

I sigh and roll my eyes dropping my hand to my side. "I'm not doing this right now, Daniel". "I have cookies to finish" I say before turning on my heel and started the cookies again.

After a while, I hear a sigh behind me and on the side of me was my phone. I smiled and plopped the cookies into the oven.

"I win" I whispered under my breath.

*******

"Thank you again, Elise" Lidia thanks as I step out onto their threshold.

"It's was no problem" I say smiling.

An awkward silence falls upon the three of us as we realize Daniel is just standing there looking at me.

"Well...I should put Maya to sleep" Lidia starts. "I'll see you later Elise"

"Bye Lidia" I say.

She leaves and closes the door behind her, leaving me and Daniel alone out side. The awkwardness from before still looming around us.

"I'll see you later" I say turning around when I noticed he wasn't going to say anything.

Before I could get too far, Daniel grasps my elbow making me stop in my tracks and look up at him. Our eyes lock onto each other's and soon that same unfamiliar feeling from before reignites throughout my whole body sending chills down my spine.

"W-what is it?" I try to ask. I inwardly curse myself for stuttering.

Daniel's mouth slightly twitches upward in a smile. "Nothing...I'll see you at school"

And with that, he goes inside and leaves me standing on the porch steps confused.

What was that all about?

A/N: Hey!

Finals are finally over! I'm going to try to finish this book over my winter break because....I have a new story that I've been wanting to write for a while now. Any who, I hope you all enjoyed today's chapter and sorry if it's too short.

Until the next chapter,

- Gia