Chapter 9: Change and Commitment

"Hello?" Hermione announced her arrival as she let herself into the Burrow.

"Ah, Hermione, you're just in time for lunch." Mrs. Weasley smiled from the kitchen counter. "So, did everything go alright?"

Mrs. Weasley knew that Harry and Hermione had met with Malfoy and gone to Hogwarts to see Professor McGonagall, but they had decided not to let her know about the memories. The only others who knew of them were Ron and Ginny.

"Yes, we got what we were looking for," Hermione told her. She was still rather unsettled by all the things she'd seen and heard in the Pensieve. It felt strange to stand and talk to the woman that only a short time ago had been wrapped in a white sheet, lying on the ground in front of a burning castle. "Harry didn't stop by here, did he?"

"Harry? No. I thought he was with you," Molly said seriously. Though many things had changed in the two years since the war, and people had become relaxed and comfortable, Molly still bore the internal scars of war. She easily became stressed when people weren't where they were expected to be. And the fact that Harry, Ron, and Hermione had taken up positions in Magical Law Enforcement did not help those feelings.

"Oh, he was, but after the meeting, we went our separate ways and he didn't tell me where he was going. I expect he's back at the office," Hermione replied. "Where's Aurelian?"

"He's out in the garage with Arthur," she answered with a smile. "They've been having a grand time this morning. He's such an adorable and brilliant child, Hermione. You should be proud."

Hermione's insides squirmed. She knew that she should feel proud, but she really hadn't had a hand in raising him. It was her future self, someone she really didn't know, that raised him; her and a future Draco that she really didn't know either. Although, she felt she knew the future Draco better than she did the present day one.

At the look on Hermione's face, Molly's expression changed to one of empathy. Hermione could tell that the woman thought that her discomfort had to do with the fact that Draco Malfoy was Aurelian's father. While it did feel quite awkward, the main part of her discomfort was her own acceptance that she had a two year old son that she'd known nothing about until a couple days before.

Hermione had not had any intention of keeping the identity of Aurelian's father a secret from the Weasleys. Harry, however, had different ideas and insisted that it would be best to tell only Ron and Ginny. Of course, when Ron found out, everyone else in the family did. Hermione wouldn't have been surprised if all of Ottery St. Catchpole heard that she had a child with Draco Malfoy due to the loud volume in which Ron had expressed his opinion on the matter. It had felt like he blamed her for something that she had not chosen. She was just as shocked as he had been to learn that in the future she had married Malfoy. It was something she never would have imagined. After their time in the Pensieve though, it did not surprise her how they came together, under those specific circumstances.

"If lunch is ready, I'll just go call Aurelian and Mr. Weasley in," Hermione offered.

"That would be wonderful. Thank you, dear," Molly said with a sad smile. Hermione groaned inwardly. She didn't want people pitying her.

"Hello," Hermione greeted as she entered the garage. It never ceased to surprise her just how many Muggle items Mr. Weasley collected. The garage was filled with stacks of items that lined every wall.

"Mummy!" Aurelian cried happily. He stood up in the sidecar of Sirius's old flying motorbike and smiled broadly. "Uncle Art has a motorbike! I drivin'!"

Hermione laughed when she saw that Aurelian was wearing an old leather aviator's cap that was much too big for him and a set of 80s style headphones.