Chapter 10: Sacrifice and the Last hope

"My, you certainly ate well this morning," Hermione said with a smile for the boy who kneeled on one of her chairs. "You're going to grow fast eating like that."

"I grow big like Daddy!" Aurelian smiled. Hermione took the bowl and plate off of the table and placed them in the sink.

"Yes, I imagine you will," she said as she tried to hide her discomfort. "Now, let's get you cleaned up."

Hermione took a kitchen towel from the drawer and dampened it in the sink. She started back toward the table when a chime from the living room distracted her.

"Just a second, Aurey. I'll be right back," she told him. She walked toward the living room with her towel in hand.

"Please don't touch anything with those sticky fingers," she added over her shoulder. As soon as she entered, she froze. "Malfoy."

"Granger," he greeted with a scowl.

"What are you doing here?" she breathed nervously.

"What?" he asked with narrowed eyes.

"You don't just walk into someone's home-" she started irritably.

"Potter owled me last night and told me to be here at this time," Draco interrupted. "I was under the assumption that you knew."

"No…" She sighed. "Sorry. Um, you can have a seat if you'd like. I'm still not-"

"Daddy!" Aurelian exclaimed with glee. Draco and Hermione both gasped when the small boy raced across the room and threw his arms around Draco's legs again. "Daddy, you come pway with me?"

Draco glared up at Hermione to convey his refusal to answer Aurelian's question.

"No, he can't play. We have to work today," Hermione answered as she squirmed under Draco's stare. She didn't want to disappoint Aurelian or anger Draco. She really did feel guilty, but she was doing what she felt was best.

"Pwease?" Aurelian begged as he looked up at Draco with pleading eyes.

"I'm sorry, but we really do have to work today and it seems that I'm running a bit late. Excuse us while we get cleaned up," Hermione added to Draco. "Come on, Aurey."

Aurelian reluctantly let go of Draco and walked sulkily to his mother.

"Oh, Merlin, I'm sorry," Hermione groaned as she looked at Draco's robes. "I was trying to clean him up when you arrived. He's gotten strawberry jam all over you. Here, you can try to clean up a bit," she said as she offered the towel to Draco.

"I have a wand, you know," Draco replied.

"Right, sorry," she apologized again. Flustered, she bent down and used the towel to wipe Aurelian's face and hands.
"C-can I get you something to drink or something? Tea maybe?"

"Mummy makes yummy cereal," Aurelian offered helpfully.

"No, thank you. I'd hate for your Mummy to trouble herself over me," he said derisively.

Hermione grimaced miserably. She didn't want him to be upset with her. Malfoy, as a part of the case, made things difficult. His desire to see Aurelian and refusal to understand her stance made it much worse.

"Come on, Aurey, we'll get you dressed." Hermione took his hand in hers and started back the short hallway to the bedroom. "You get to go see Aunt Molly again, today."

Aurelian looked at Hermione and back toward the living room. He looked upset and confused. He could see something was wrong between his parents, but he couldn't understand what. "Uncle Art pway with me again?"