Trial

Kassandra's POV

She opened her jaws wide and roared in my face. I screamed and fell back again as she stood up and began stalking towards me.

I wobbled to my feet and ran in the opposite direction from her looking again for a way out.

"You must stand and fight." She said.

I tried to ignore her and began running my hands along the walls looking for anything to help me get out of here.

"Is this what you would do if our mate was ever in danger? Run and leave her to her fate like a coward?" She sneered at me.

I paused in my frantic searching and turned to face her.

"Our mate does not deserve a spineless coward such as yourself." She continued.

I had heard these words before. These were things that people had been saying about me since I could remember. It was the fact that she had said them that cut me deep, seeing as she is me and I am her.

Is this what I really think about myself?

"Yes." Was all she said reading my thoughts.

I looked up at her shocked but knew that she was right.

"Okay, what must I do?" I asked her fiercely.

"Fight me." She said. "and win."

She was huge, I had no idea how I was supposed to fight her, let alone win, but I was going to try my hardest.

Without waiting for her to attack first, I lunged forward and threw a punch at her front leg just the way Aliana had taught me.

I was expecting her to dodge it, so I was completly suprised when my fist connected with her leg.

What I wasn't expecting was how hard her leg actually was. I felt like I had just smashed my hand into a steel wall.

I screamed and pulled my hand back cradling it to my chest. I didn't have to look at it to know that I had broken my hand.

I whimpered and looked up at her.

"I guess that didn't work." I said sadly.

"So what will you do now, cry and give up?" She asked looking down at me.

I gritted my teeth dropped my ruined hand down to my side and faced her.

She tilted her head at me and beckoned me forward with a huff.

I ran at her and jumped on her back and gripped her fur with my good fur. She stood up and tried to buck me off but I held on for dear life.

When she noticed she couldn't shake me off she suddenly threw herself to the side and tried to roll over me. It was either let go or get squished.

As she began to roll, I released her fur and rolled in the opposite direction of her. I kept rolling until I hit a wall.

"I pity our mate if this is what she has to call a counterpart." She said and I watched as she lowered her snout to the ground.

What I didn't notice at first was the the person lying on the floor below her.

Midnight black hair, pale skin was all I say at first. Then the person turned and eyes the color of the rainbow met mine.

My eyes widened in recognization and fear.

"Aliana?" I whispered, thinking this was some sort of hallucination.

"Kassandra." She said the way she always says my name.

Her jaws opened wide over Aliana's face almost as if she would swallow her whole.

"What are you doing!!!" I shouted at her.

"I will release our mate from the disappointment of having you as a mate" She says as her jaws begin to close around Aliana who screamed.

"Stop, you'll kill her!!!" I shout but she just continues to squeeze her jaws, Aliana continues screaming.

"Better her dead than stuck with you" She says as the screams begins to quiet.

Rage begins to flow through me and I feel a door within me open. Suddenly I'm flooded with power, I feel amazing.

She pauses in what she was doing and raises her head and reguards me thoughtfully. Blood drips from her muzzule. Aliana's blood.

I envision her away from Aliana and suddenly she thrown back to the other side of the room and slams into the wall.

She jumps up and charges me but I put a wall between us and she slams into it. Turning away from her I run to Aliana's side and kneel beside her.

"Oh god baby,what did she do to you?" I shout, panicking and afraid to touch her.

She says nothing as her eyes begin to droop.

"Stay with me please, I'll fix this. I know I can!" I continue to shout as I pressed my hands over her wounds and think about healing her.

Warmth filled my hands and I tried to push it towards her,but before it could work she dissappeared.

"Congradulations, you have passed." She said from behind the wall.

I had no clue what had just happened and I was kind of freaking out. Then her words registered to me.

"Passed?" I said softly, but she heard me anyway.

"Yes have unlocked the door to your powers, you don't have control over them all yet but our mate will help you train to master them. I will also assist you from time to time." She said not understanding where I was going with this.

"That was fake?" I asked softly.

"You made me believe you were killing Aliana as a test?" I asked my voice getting a little louder.

"It was the only way to get you to awaken your powers, you needed something to help you along with that. Our mate is perfectly safe." She said calmly.

"Are you freaking kidding me! You used her as a way to 'awaken' my powers? Are you insane?!" I shouted at her dropping the wall stalking towards her.

"Calm down little one, you have passed your test and our mate is fine. Return to her and keep her safe." She said and stood up, placing her nose on my forehead and blew hot breath in my face.

I squeezed my eyes shut and the breeze dissapeared.

When I opened my eyes again I was back in the training room and Aliana was in front of me.

I launched myself at her and cried into her neck. She began rubbing my back and whispering soothing words.

"It's alright love, everythings fine." She whispered.

"I knew you could do it." She said.

I pulled back from her and gave her a big kiss. She then picked me up and carried me up the stairs to the bathroom and helped me wash up.

Then she wrapped me in a towel and placed me in the center of the bed and lay down beside me.

"Sleep love." She said and I drifted off to her words of love.