Chapter Three: The Great Escape

AU: Chapter is scheduled for revision.

As we rush down the hall, pumping our legs as quickly as we can, the sound of our feet meshes with the heavy breaths of the group.

"Hurry! Keep running!" Thomas calls in a paradoxically hushed shout.

Running. That's all I've ever done, and it's the one thing that I'm good at. I push myself to sprint faster, charging down the hall with the group of boys that I have only just met.

However, as we turn the corner, I nearly run into Thomas's back as he comes to a sudden halt. Catching my breath and glancing around him, my eyes widen as I spot one of the scientists standing in the middle of the hallway.

She freezes in her place, giving us a surprised look. "What are you kids doing here? You're not allowed in this area," she says with suspicion laced in her gentle voice and her brows furrowing together. Her coiled curls are neatly pulled back into a ponytail. I recognize the woman, having seen her working around the facility. She's even taken my blood once or twice.

In ironic timing, the sirens suddenly start blaring, red alarm lights beginning to flicker along the upper walls of the hall. I exchange a look with Fry, who is managing to snicker to himself at the situation.

With her widening brown eyes shifting from the lights to the group of teenagers, the woman slowly backs away, darting her eyes from face-to-face before turning on her heels and running away as quickly as she can.

"Oh, no, you don't!" Minho calls, he and Thomas being the first to act, sprinting after the woman.

Fry, Newt, and I follow, charging after swiftly. The last thing we need is for this lady to rat us out when our escape has only begun.

The scientist closes in to a corner of the hall where it crosses at an intersection, opposite of our group.

"Guys, now would be a good time to stop her!" Frypan shouts nervously over the sirens.

A hollow ache starts to rise within the muscles of my legs, slightly in shock of running after a week of limited activity.

"Tommy, grab her!" Newt chimes in as he begins to gradually fall behind.

Thomas, sprinting as fast as his legs will allow, extends his right hand out as far as he can, and he manages to get a hold of the scientist's arm just before she can get around the corner, yanking her back as she lets out a yelp. "You're not getting away until we get our friend," he growls, hardly out of breath as the remainder of the group catches up to him, nearly stumbling over our feet from the quick stop.

Minho folds his arms, smiling proudly. "That's right. Now show us where Teresa is," he demands, confidence interwoven in his voice and stature.

She clenches her jaw, trying to control her breathing through her nose. Pursing her lips tightly together, the woman makes it evident that she is not going to speak.

"Come on, spit it out," he pushes.

The scientist continues to keep her mouth clamped shut, unwavering. She narrows her eyes in response.

Newt looks back down the hall from where we came from. "Guys, we really need to hurry," he says, getting antsy over the idea that guards will likely be here at any second.

"Talk!" Thomas orders impatiently, his voice suddenly booming with rage, shaking the woman slightly by the arm.

She flinches, realizing that she is testing kids that have been through enough to take aggressive action. If she has seen the things that I have done, she should know better. "Down the hall, passed this intersection, and turn at the next right," she mutters.