eleven | roadtrip.

After finishing the letter and placing it on my bed, I grabbed my duffle bag and went to go wait for Zach downstairs.

Knowing he should be here any minute I quickly put my converse on and checked my bag to make sure I have everything I need. Right as I finished my phone vibrated, signalling Zach was here.

Opening the door, I'm about to head out when something grabs my attention. My guitar. I quickly grab it and rush to Zach's car.

Throwing my stuff in his back seat, I jump in the front and greet him.

"Hi Zachy, ready for this?"

He rolls his eyes when I call him Zachy, but nonetheless replies "Yes I am. But can I ask why I had to pick you up at 3am? Normal people are asleep or watching Netflix at this time Lenny."

It was a quick decision, telling him the truth. If I'm not telling him I have cancer whilst on a road trip with him, he should at least know my parents are not aware of our plans.

"Well Zachy, when people sneak out it's typically at 3am."

His eyes widen at my statement and he exclaims "Sneak out. Damn Lenny, you're more bad ass than I thought. Are you sure this is a good idea though?"

Refraining from rolling my eyes I reassure him "Relax Zach, Dylan knows and I left my parents a note. I'll call them soon, maybe tonight."

Unable to contain his curiosity he asks "Why couldn't you just tell them?"

This is the part I would lie about. If I told him I had cancer he'd probably turn around and bring me back home and I can't have that. I need this just as much as he does.

"They're kind of strict. No way they'd let me come and there's no way I'd miss a chance to road trip with the Zach Dawson."

Catching onto my sarcasm he smugly replies "Well I am kind of a big deal."

Shaking my head in amusement I decide to ask "Why did you pick me anyways? I'm sure your friends would have come with you, or even any other girl at our high school."

He takes a couple seconds to formulate his answer, but then he says "I don't really know. I mean I could say because you were there with me when I opened it but that isn't 100% true. Probably because I actually told you about the list, and because somehow you got me to open it. You kind of wiggled your way in Lenny."

Smiling at his answer, I decide to lighten the mood with sarcasm by saying "Well I'm flattered Zach Dawson."

He flashes my his mega-watt smile and replies "As you should be."

After that the car is mostly silent with the radio playing in the background.

We are beginning our trip in Wasaga Beach, then making our way to The Blue Mountains, Sauble Beach, Howdenvale, Hope Bay, and then finishing off in Tobermory.

We don't have any definite plans, honestly this is the worlds most poorly planned road trip ever, but we do know enough that stopping in these places will be enough for us to complete the list and return home in maximum two weeks time.

We've driving for about an hour now, with friendly banter this trip has been off to a great start. Just as Zach is about to insult me again Soulja Boy "Crank That" comes on the radio.

I silence Zach with the wave of my hand and say "Zachy, you know what this song is right?"

Rolling his eyes he says "How could I forget? This song took over our lives in grade 6."

I automatically start rapping along, not missing a beat and doing the dance as best I can seated, while Zach looks at me like I'm crazy.

"Zachy come on! I know you know the words."