Chapter Thirty Three

1/5/18

~*~

Friday

(7:40 P.M)

He kissed me.

Link kissed me.

Oh goddess, what?

What?

What!?

My heart pounded in its cage as I stared up at him. My eyes were wide as my brain tried to process what had just... what he did.

"That should have happened last night..." Link said quietly.

I lay still, the wood I rested on no longer cold. A million things were lining up to be processed, but I managed to attend to none of them. When I tried to speak, my voice caught in my throat. "Why."

His eyes closed a little in confusion. "...why what?"

"Why did you do that..." I whispered, my eyes flicked up at him.

Link bit his lip. "I-" He looked down. "I apologize, Zelda, I thought-"

"Wait," I said, my eyes widening again. "No," I shook my head. "That's not what I meant at all!"

"Then...?" His voice trailed off to a question at the end.

"I just meant -" I sat up, the cold attacking my back as I did so. "I'm sorry, I'm a confusing mess," I began, putting my arms tight around myself. "I can't articulate very well in emotional upheaval."

"Wait-" Link was waving his hands. "Emotional upheaval?"

I put my face into my knees - that way I wouldn't have to look at him, and my nose would be a little warmer. "Yes, I'm freaking out," I said plainly, although my voice was muffled.

"Oh." Link took a sharp breath. "Me too."

I couldn't help but move my head to peek one eye at him. "You look a lot more collected than me."

"I just kissed the girl I've been dying to kiss for the past week," Link said. "Yes, I'm freaking out!"

My head raised so both eyes could stare widely at him. "You've been... what?"

He tilted his head to the side. "Yes," he said. "I've been wanting to kiss you for a week," he repeated.

"Why!?" I asked again.

He actually started laughing. "Why?" he said. "Why wouldn't I? You're amazing, Zelda-"

"Like heck I am-" Oh goddess why couldn't I control myself.

"An amazing and incredibly insecure roller coaster of emotions..." He grabbed my hand and covered it with both of his. "You're asking me why - I guess I'll have to answer you plainly."

I froze, my mouth still open from foolishly needing to argue against his words.

"I care about you."

Why though??

"I like you."

An incomprehensible noise came from my throat, and I didn't even have the processing power to care - I was way too focused on what he had just said. Why the heck would you-

Somehow it was possible for him to look both confident, hopeful, and terrified at the same time. "I want this to be real."

That was it. I was done. Done for - the end. "You what!?"