C. 17

She forgets he is a murderer, she forgets their situation and grasps at his back, his touch alone was sucking the pain out of her and she didn't want to ever let go.

"The world doesn't deserve you, sunshine."

Toby was her bird and he was flying her away.

***

Splashing rain droplets softly hit the car windows as they drive onwards. The skies are overhung with a blanket of grey, so much that Y/N can barely tell the difference between the sky and clouds. She didn't even bother asking where Toby got a car, she knew the answer already anyway.

Despite car rides feeling tedious, the rain commonly calms her--she watches raindrops race down the window beside her leaving small trails that soon got swept up from the harsh winds.

Looking out windows and out into the outside world will forever remind her of the asylum. Never forgotten.

It might have been two days now that she has been freed from the asylum but she still couldn't get over the beauty outside, she knew she never would. She'd rather be outside in those puddles than stuck in this car for the next few hours.

She tilts her head to Toby's direction, he looked strained. His eyes were unblinking as they stared ahead at the road being pelted by bullets of rain. His hands were tight on the steering wheel almost as if he were too scared to let go.

She was about to ask him what was wrong when she suddenly sees a brown flash from her side rushing their way. "Toby!"

At her voice, the car comes to a startling halt that sent her forward only to caught by the seatbelt securing her in place.

The deer quickly scatters away from the car and into the trees. Toby was breathing hard and he looked alarmed, his hands were shaking around the wheel in fear.

"Toby, it's okay."Y/N unbuckled her seatbelt and grabs hold of his shoulders to face her, his eyes still dazed with surprise."You're okay."She whispers softly. Even though she didn't know what he was going through, she knew he didn't want to talk about it so she avoided asking.

"Let me drive for a while, ok?"

He nods. They switch seats and only when she clicks the seatbelt on does she remember.

They're both quiet, staring ahead with blank expressions.

"Toby?"

"Yeah?"

"I don't know how to drive."

***

Driving, it wasn't too hard for Y/N to get used to with some help from Toby. Even if she almost ran into a tree, she still managed to not look like a completely crazy person on the empty road. She was glad no cars were around so she could experiment.

Toby was mocking her while trying not to laugh, the corners of his mouth up into a small grin. It melts her inside when she sees him smile. His smile was lovely. She was glad he seemed fine after what happened.

Y/N laughs with him, "Stop making fun of me and let me drive."She says in a fake tone filled with annoyance, yet she finds herself laughing with him. Her hands turning the wheel as they turned towards the left.

She gazes at him for a second, "I know you haven't been sleeping very well, so get some rest. I'll wake you up when we need to find a place to park for the night."

He looks unsure, thinks, then nods his head twice.

It only takes a minute for him to go out like a light, Y/N sighs softly with a small smile as she looks at him then back on the road.

She turns the radio on to a low volume and tries to hum along with the unfamiliar music but finds it strange and not very comforting as it used to be.

Only after an hour or so does she decide to just listen to the rain. Rain and the sound of Toby breathing near her was the only sound needed for her to feel content and relaxed. Maybe, she thinks, it was because she has been living in silence for 3 years that she has grown to hate the noise.

It's dark outside now and it took her a few tries to turn the headlights on, along with the windshield wipers because she accidentally turned them off while messing around with the gears.

The car tank was half empty of gas so they were fine. Deciding it was best not to wake Toby, she finds a spot herself to stay the night. This required her to drive off the road and into an open spot in the woods far back enough that no passing car could see.

Y/N turns off the engine, makes sure the doors are all locked and unbuckled her belt as well as Toby's. She puts their seats back so it is more comfortable.

Y/N looks at Toby's sleeping face, his thick eyelashes closed together. He had a calm expression, this was different from his dull, broken look he had most of the time.

She has to resist the urge to touch his hair that crowded around his face perfectly, silver moonlight shining through the window and onto his face making him look paler than usual.

She lays on her side facing him and closes her eyes in pleasure after hours of driving.

Finally, she could get some sleep.

Thank you, @friskthecomiclover, it looks great! :)