70. STEVE: Messy

A/N: SEVENTY CHAPTERS! THAT IS SO MANY CHAPTERS HOLY CRAP! AND OVER TWO THOUSAND READS! I'm very excited, if you can't tell.

I still have a couple part two/three requests that I'm editing but hopefully they'll be up soon! Beyond that, requests are still open of course.

THANK YOU FOR READING!

-Winnie

Words: 4.6K

"Steve, I know we've been friends for forever now. Well, I mean, two years—but that's a long time. Not as long as you've been friends with Bucky, but that's different. What I'm trying to say is that we're friends: right? Good friends. I'd consider you one of my closest friends. I adore you, but I... well, I realize now that I adore you more than I probably should... Not that there's nothing wrong with adoring you, because you're absolutely perfect in every single way. It's just that my adoration for you is borderline obsessive for someone who's only supposed to be a friend. You know what I mean? Maybe you don't. You probably have no idea what I'm talking about. Okay, let me explain. When you walk into the room nowadays it's like I'm seeing a celebrity every time. I get all sweaty and nervous and want to rush up and kiss your face. What? Did I just say kiss? I don't think about kissing you... too much. I don't think about it too much. Just enough to know that I'm no longer thinking about you as a friend. Does that make more sense? If it doesn't go ahead and just interject and ask me questions. That's fine. I understand that I'm super confusing. You've even told me that before when I started rambling about Lord of the Rings. Anyway, I'm getting off track. I asked you out to lunch today so we could talk about my feelings for you. And I want to know—no, I NEED to know—do you... do you maybe possibly sorta feel the same?"

You take a deep breath. There. The speech is done. It's all in the open. It's all been verbalized.

If only you were actually talking to Steve and not your own reflection in the mirror.

"That was a fucking mess."

You startle at the intrusion of a voice from your previously locked bedroom door. You gasp and turn in time to see Nat stifling a laugh.

"Shut up! You know I'm not good at talking."

"Or breathing. I don't think you took a single pause through that whole thing." She comes farther into your room without bothering to close the door. "It was kinda sad to watch, I'm not gonna lie."

You glare at her. "Thanks for the confidence booster." Immediately all of your irritation is lost as you fall into a depression from the pressure of confronting Steve. Dramatically you fall backwards onto your bed amongst the fluffy pillows. "I can't do this."

Nat stares at you with pity. She shakes her head and stalks over. She's going to have to give you, the scrawny girl with the big brain and awkward tendencies, a pep talk. "Sure you can. You're an Avenger—you can do anything."

You prop yourself up on your elbows. "Was that supposed to make me feel better somehow?"

Nat laughs. "Yeah. Did it work?"

"Not in the slightest."

Nat crawls up your big bed to sit beside you. "Listen, I know that you don't feel like there's any chance that Steve could feel the same way, but..."

"Exactly! That's my biggest nightmare. There are so many reasons why he should be disgusted with me. First of all I'm only twenty. He's like, biologically at least, nine years older than me now. If that's not weird enough then there's the fact that I'm his best friend's GREAT GRANDAUGHTER, which is plenty of a reason to be like "gross, no way". And if that's not bad enough, I'm like the most awkward, clumsy, fuck-up on this whole team."