59. Empire

HARRY

The celebration of my coronation has been lasting for a few days now and there are no signs that people are tired of dancing, singing, and sharing their happiness. The palace gates have been opened for days, allowing anyone to come and celebrate. There is always enough food and drinks on the tables and the musicians are playing non stop, creating a joyous atmosphere.

"Harry, there is something I must tell you," Adrian comes to me on the third day of the celebration, placing his hand on my shoulder.

I set my goblet on the table and excuse myself, letting the people sitting around continue with laughter and chatting. Rising to my feet, I throw my arm around Adrian's shoulders and haul him to my side, feeling slightly tipsy but still sober enough to understand everything around me and walk normally. A bright grin settles on my face as we walk out of the main hall, the racket fading slightly.

"What is it, cousin?" I ask as we approach one of the large windows lined on the wall of the corridor, turning to face him. When I notice a serious expression on his face, I purse my lips and pout, trying to imitate him. "Ooh, so serious." I poke his cheek, trying to find his dimple.

Adrian caves in and smiles widely, shaking his head. "I'm going to miss you."

"Dimples!" I exclaim, poking them. My brows then furrow when I register his words, my grin fading. "What do you mean? Are you going somewhere?" When the thought what he might be referring to crosses through my mind, I snap my fingers. "Oh, you're talking about your return to your kingdom! It's not like we are weeks away, barely two days of travelling."

He shakes his head. "I'm not going to return home. For me, it doesn't even exist anymore. That land is yours, I don't want it."

"What? Don't be silly, it's yours by right and-"

"No, Harry, I have no desire to be king, I never wanted that. I think I'd spent more years travelling overseas then I did at home, doing my duty that never quite felt like my duty. I would probably ruin the kingdom if I tried ruling it, so I'm renouncing my right to the throne and giving it to you." He reaches beneath his jacket and pulls out a scroll, handing it to me. "I have it written here, with my stamp and all."

I take the scroll with a frown on my face. "Adrian, I cannot accept this."

"Oh for God's sake, stop being so dramatic. Honour, pride blah blah, give me a break." He rolls his eyes. "Just take it and make the official proclamation first thing tomorrow and I shall be by your side to confirm it. I am no longer bound by any titles, you have no idea how liberating that feels. I am a free man to do whatever I please." He grins.

I nod in resignation, feeling sad, but managing a small smile. As long as he's happy, so am I. "And what is it that you wish to do now?"

A boyish glint appears in his eyes as he looks out of the window, green and golden fields, thick forests, and endless sea sprawling in the distance. "I want to travel again, feel the wind in my hair and salt on my skin. I'm a born sailor."

"If that is what your heart desires then you have my full support." I squeeze his shoulder. "I shall make sure your kingdom is taken care of and try not to disappoint."

"Just like I'm a born sailor, you are born to rule, Harry. I have no doubts in your abilities." He takes a step back and fixes the crown resting on my head, letting his gaze take a sweep down the length of my body, his head nodding in approval. "Yes, being a king definitely suits you." Placing his hand over his chest, he bows. "Your Majesty."

"Ditch that formal fancy talk, you're family." I pull him in a tight hug, patting his back.

"Don't forget to name one of your children after me. After all, I'm the one who made their existence possible considering I contributed to their parents' relationship." Adrian completely ruins the moment, making me roll my eyes and let out a laugh.