Chapter XXXII: I Brace, I Brace Not

Lady Therese De Beauharnais, Duchess of Roche

28 November, Year 32 of King Frederick V of Monrique's reign

Roche Manor, Roche

Monrique

After a certain point, you became numb to everything. There was only so much that life could throw at you, only so much fury and pain you could be forced to experience, before everything faded away into insignificance.

I had not shed a single tear since the day Papa had died in his chambers. Not one. Clara had been crying herself to exhaustion these few days, as have most of the people who attended his funeral, but I did not.

I could not. Mayhap I, too, had been dying alongside him, little by little, each time Mama had slipped him poison over all these years.

"Your Grace, what should I do?"

Startled out of my thoughts, I gazed down at the plump, motherly woman kneeling below the dais. Dark circles ringed her eyes brown eyes, and she seemed exhausted as I felt in that moment.

I understood. Poor Miss Gloria and her team had been handling, in this one week alone, what I had been forced to deal with for the past four and twenty years.

"I would suggest," I answered her now, "that you begin stocking up on Laudanum."

Her eyes widened. "Laudanum? But Your Grace – "

"I would suggest some strong whiskey as well," I added, musing, "as difficult as it may be to believe now, she is much easier to handle when she is intoxicated."

She looked even more horrified. "But Your Grace, she is your mother – "

My eyes snapped to hers, and I pinned her where she knelt with a single, icy glare. She promptly fell silent, right there and then, pursing her lips together tightly in an attempt not to release another sound.

"Aye, I remember who gave birth to me, Miss Gloria, thank you. That is precisely why I am telling you this," I said quietly, "if you want your work at the madhouse to be easier, her mind has to be dulled, at all times."

"You may physically restrain her, of course, as you do with all your other patients," I continued, extremely serious, "but I am certain you have already tried that, and realised that it does not work for the Dowager Duchess of Roche. Her mind, at its prime, is sharper than all of ours put together. Please do not make the mistake of underestimating her intellect."

The fear in her gaze told me she believed me. "Indeed, Your Grace," she whispered, "pardon my language, but she scares the shit out of all of us."

I almost smiled. "You have the power, Miss Gloria," I reminded her, "I have placed the Dowager Duchess under your control, and you now know the methods you can use to subdue her. You have nothing to fear anymore."

She nodded, her jaw clenching with new-found determination.

"And do not worry about the expenses," I assured her, "in addition to your usual fees, I will also pay for the Laudanum and whiskey in full."

"Thank you, Your Grace," she bowed her head.

Taking a deep breath, I stood up from my throne, and walked down the dais. I gently tugged her up to her feet from her kneeling position, and held her hands in mine.

"Miss Gloria, I hope you know that I am deeply grateful for your service, and that of your team," I meant every word of it, "I am aware how difficult it must be, and I appreciate it. Thank you."