17

I look at Felicia and see her look around. She must've just noticed him missing now.

We all look around as if Carson could just appear.

I look at Vina and see an angered look on her face though she tries to hide it.

"Vina?" I ask softly, putting a hand on her arm.

Everyone quiets down.

"I-I thought he was admirable. A good guy. He liked you, I liked him. Then he realized you didn't like him that way while I did. He talked to me the past few weeks and I found him sweet." Vina looks at me with sad eyes. "I understood what you meant when you said you felt butterflies. I did too. But then he just had to be a selfish boy like most guys in the world."

We all glance at one another with worried looks.

What is Vina talking about?

"He used us. He used us all, Belle." Vina says, her face no longer angry, but sad. "He knew who we all were before we met. He helped Victoria capture us all. He sold your designs to her and fed her information about us." She shakes her head, now angry again. "He used me. He promised me so many things and at first I thought it could be true. But no. It was all a lie."

Tears run down her cheeks. "I'm sorry, Belle. I waited till the show was over to tell you. I should've told you sooner."

The shock of everyone is obvious since the room's so silent.

Looking back, it did surprise me when Carson already knew I was new to Chicago. He said "Welcome to Chicago" the night we ordered Chinese takeout...

"Vina, how do you know all this?" Felicia asks suspiciously.

Vina smiles sadly. "I only found out earlier. After Carson greeted Belle and told her 'good luck', he left. I didn't mind it at first, but then after a few minutes, I got worried. As I walked out onto the runway, I tried looking for him in the crowd. I spotted him with another lady. I was confused and decided to talk to him about it later. But he never showed up backstage. I looked for him while the other models walked, and I bumped into Johnson Gray. He looked like he was afraid, and like he was on the run. I asked him what was wrong. He told me everything. He also mentioned how he felt so trapped and alone with Victoria, and he wants to leave. But he doesn't know how. So I offered him to join us."

Trevor holds up a hand. "Wait. So where's Johnson?"

Vina glances at the door. "I told him to get some Starbucks. He should be back now."

"You told him to get Starbucks? Why?" Mallorie asks.

"He hasn't eaten in the past week. And he has nothing right now. Victoria changed her accommodations for him." Vina explains.

"This changes things." Trevor says, shaking his head. "Can't believe we all let Carson fool us. And it doesn't really make sense. Why does he have to use us?"

Vina chokes back tears.

Trevor realizes how much impact his words have on Vina. "I'm sorry, Vina. I didn't mean-"

"No, Trevor. It's okay. I can't believe I was foolish enough to believe he was a good, genuine guy not only plastered on posters and magazines but also in person." She rolls her eyes.

I put an arm around her. "Vina, he'll regret losing such a gem like you."

Vina smiles sadly and hugs me. I hug her tighter.

"I also can't believe I was blind to you two going on dates and being all sweet." I whisper.

She laughs. "Belle, you've blind to many things the past weeks."