18

The next day, Vina and I are excused from work all day for practice and run throughs for our musical.

In a week, it'll be mid November and we'll have our first audience.

Before the Christmas Miracle performance, we have another musical. Wicked. It may be old, but it's a classic.

Vina and I enter the auditorium and Ray, our director, sees us.

"Vine and Belle! My talented girls. Come in and let us begin!" He shouts with a smile.

I don't know he manages to look so happy while shouting from across the room, but he pulls it off.

Vina and I head down the aisles till we reach the first row. We drop off our bags and head up on stage.

"Alright. From the top. I want emotion, magic, drama! Move me!" Ray shouts.

We all scramble into place.

The music starts and the narrator speaks.

I wonder what it's like to be a narrator. To carry the story and serve as the backbone for everyone's roles.

"Alphaba and Glinda."

The music that officially starts the story begins and we all act and dance accordingly.

In about an hour, we're done with the first run through.

"I think we've got it down." Ray says. "But, we still need some more polishing. I need more clean steps. Unity, as you dance. You must be one. Not just ten people dancing, but ten people dancing as one."

We go through the entire thing again and this time, we get a resounding applause from Ray and the others watching us.

"That should win a standing ovation." Ray announces happily.

We all take a break and I sit with Vina on a bench.

"How're you holding up?" I ask her, not looking at her but staring ahead. It's been a week or two since Carson left but I know Vina's still hurting.

We're roommates after all, and I can hear her cries and prayers.

"I'm okay, I guess." She sighs. "Actually, not really. It hurts you know? Expecting so much? Like imagine fan-girling over a guy, a celebrity, and you know that you're probably never gonna have a chance with him even if you're famous too. But then all of a sudden, a miracle happens and you do end up liking each other. It felt so magical and wonderful. I guess I should've known something so good that happened too fast wouldn't last long." She takes another deep breath. "But I'm also looking on the bright side and accepting that God is teaching me a lesson and that I'm strong enough, with Him, to get through this."

"First heartbreaks must be tough." I say quietly.

She nods and takes out a sandwich.

My phone buzzes and I receive a text.

Belle, like I said, I'm sorry. I realize now how I hurt you all and how I must've ruined our friendship. Can I make it up to you? Victoria doesn't keep her end of deals.

I take deep breaths.

Should I trust him?

Vina looks over at me and raises an eyebrow.

I show her the text.

She seems to hesitate. "I wish I could advise you on this but with my heart messed up, I can't seem to choose what should be done."