XXII

After what happened that day, Raen has been different. It's as if something broke in him that day when I was close to dying again and I blamed myself every second for getting myself into that mess.

He wouldn't eat with any of us at breakfast, lunch or dinner. Choosing to eat either early or late. Sometimes even going to the bother of sitting on his own when we were there. Something was wrong and I didn't know what.

I remember going back to his tent that night as it was the closest of ours. Baja trailed ahead of us as she explored the bushes around us in front. Raen stayed silent the entire way and once we entered his tent, he spoke but his words broke my heart.

"You can take the bed. I'll take the couch."

"W-What?" I question dumbly and I see Raen roll his eyes at me. Walking over to his bed and yanking a pillow from it.

"Do I have to repeat myself? Or would you rather the couch?"

"What's wrong?" I ask in confusion. Masking my hurt but showing it on my features with a frown. Unfortunately he refused to look at me and only grunted as he passed by me.

When I turned around, my heart was in my throat when he pointed at the floor to Baja who had nestled herself on the couch. She ignored him, obviously but when I noticed a blue vein popping in his neck and his hand twitching at his side, I cleared my throat.

"Baja, down." I commanded and she looked up at the sound of my voice before immediately getting down from the couch and coming over to me. I smiled down at her and stroked her fur. Her tail twirling around my leg as she purred.

"She sleeps outside." Raen says lowly and I look up quickly to where he hadn't moved his position in front of the couch. I frown at him.

"What do you mean? She always-"

"I mean, she sleeps outside. We can't have wild animals in our tent. It's against the rules anyways."

"Baja is not a wild animal-"

"She was and still is Keylin. Open your eyes for fuck...." He snarled at me before buting his lip and turning away, looking as if he was biting so hard he was almost drawing blood. He was holding his temper back from me but he was struggling.

Something was definitely wrong.

I looked down at Baja when she growls, her ears flattening as she bares her teeth at Raen. I frown at her while Raen lets out a knowing laugh.

"I told you so." He states with a smirk and I throw my gaze up to him, frustrated now.

"You've made her upset. What's wrong with you? You're acting like a dick."

"I'm acting like a dick?" He questions quietly to himself as he shakes his head. A smile on his lips as he glares at the couch. I clutch Baja's fur when her growls become louder and I gulp when I look back up at Raen. There was many sides to Raen. Some that I hated but this side to him was unpredictable. This side frightened me and Baja knew it.

"Get out." Raen says in a low tone. His eyes never leaving the couch as he balls his fists at his sides.

My heart breaks at his words, at his rejection.

"W-"

"I said get out!" He roars at me making me gasp and step back in fear. His eyes turn to me and I swore I saw them change from his natural bright green eyes to a honey brown.

"Get the fuck out now!" He screams at me and Baja roars at him by my side. My eyes widen when he goes to grab his axe from his belt loop and I'm quickly pulling Baja out of the tent and running. Running with my heart in my chest to the only place I deem safe.