21.He is Mine

Ai Jei POV
I sat, leaning in Xi arms, feeling the same emotion as the whole court. Shock. Maybe she is just blind or something, I mean it's kinda obvious that Xi is mine if he is carrying me!

"Niece, 3rd Prince Xiang is newly wedded to Princess Consort Ai Jei." The empress said with an expression that voiced her dissatisfaction at the union.

"Well then, Imperial Aunt, have her marriage to Prince Xiang annulled so I can be Prince Xiang's first wife. Mistress Ai Jei can be his concubine!" The entire court gasped at her obvious show of disrespect -for she had audaciously called a Princess Consort just Mistress. Instead of reprimanding her, the empress merely smiled indulgently.

"Imperial Aunt you cannot sent me this for I have come to court to find a husband and before me the ideal man has appeared. Please let me marry him."

"Imperial Niece," the emperor said, " let my son, Prince Xiang, decide."
An entire hall full of expectant gazed turned to Xi ,who the entire time had been playing with my hair and ruining the style I had put it into.
Gently, I nudged him -prompting him to answer his father's question.

"With all due respect, Imperial Father, I am happy with my one wife and do not need or want another." The Empress' niece protested no more as she stood to leave. She may have dropped it now but I know when people try to steal my man.

"In honour of my niece's arrival we shall hold a grand feast!" States the empress before we began to leave the courtroom. I tried to stand up, only to wince in pain. In a matter of seconds Xi had lifted me up in the same way as before and carried me down the steps towards our carriage.

****************************************************************************************
That evening
I stood in front of my closet wondering what to wear. I had to dress up as not to let Xi lose face. Also I had to look better than the empress' niece, I mean she wants to steal my Xi so I have to show her up. After what seemed like hours of looking I remembered my wedding gift from my grandfather. He had gifted me a trunk which, so far, I hadn't been bothered to open. Please, I pray, let there be a suitable dress in there.

With my eyes still shut I opened the chest only to squeal in delight. Thank you grandfather. The dress was absolutely gorgeous. It was layers of thin aquamarine silk in different shades, so when you took a step it looked like the dress was made from flowing water. The sleeves where off the shoulder and lined with crystals. It also came with an under dress which was a rich forest green. However the best feature was that on the inside of the bell cut sleeves there was space for my Xiùzi jiàntóu . I must remember to thank the old man when I next see him.

Now that I had donned the dress all that was
left was my hair, makeup and jewellery. Ok, there was a lot left to do. For jewellery I went for a simple set of diamond drop earrings that just grazed my shoulders. As not to over power my outfit I simply arranged my hair in a loose braid and draped it over my shoulder. My make up was only a small bit of rouge and dark pink lip paint. Now I had to find that husband of mine.

Just as I was about to limp out of my side of our living quarters I felt a presence behind me. Quickly, I whipped out one of my numerous daggers and pointed it at the intruder, ignoring the spike of pain in my ankle. With an
amused chuckle Xi stepped out of the shadows. My stance relaxed but I didn't put down the dagger.

"Little one, you look stunning however you may want to put the dagger away," he grinned.
As I put the dagger away I asked the question that had been bothering me since the day I met my husband.

"Xi, why do you call me little one?" I asked looking up at his grinning face.

"That's simple, its because you're so short and cute!" He states while ruffling my hair.

"You highness' the feast starts in 5 minutes!" Panted my maid, bursting through door. Xi and I looked at each other. In one swift movement he had placed me in the carriage and told the driver to start moving. I softly swore under my breath as I fixed my hair which Xi had ruined moments earlier. Oh well I hope we aren't late...