Best News Yet

Emma's POV

Sharon came and turned the entire house upside down within one week.

It was Wednesday afternoon, the last Wednesday in June. I had just finished wiping the tables in the living room and mopping the floors. Today was scheduled to be my half day. I wanted to visit the library and get some new books. I had already taken my bath and was on my way out. When I got to the living room area I almost had a heart attack. Sharon had her two  four year-old twin nieces over and they were making a huge mess on the floor I had just cleaned. Snacks, juices, chocolates and sodas were everywhere.

"Aren't you going to clean that up?" she asked with a smirk on her face, peering down from the banister.

I wanted to say no but I knew Mr. Hollen wouldn't be too pleased about my attitude if I did. So I went back to my room, frustrated, changed into a rag and cleaned up the mess as she took the children outside by the pool.

"You two did such a good job, we should do this everyday," I heard her said in a baby voice as she walked away.

"That snake," I grumbled to myself.

It took me an hour and a half to completely get rid of the stickiness from the mess they made.

I skipped the library, I just wasn't in the mood anymore. I prepared something to eat and went back to my room and locked the door. It was still my half day and I needed some rest.

On Thursday I varnished the tables in the living room as Mr. Hollen instructed. I was just about done when Sharon came with a bundle of makeup supplies and began to do her makeup. Powder flew everywhere. She was deliberately throwing powder onto the clean floor and the table I had just varnished. After her mischievous little act she left, and I cleaned the tables and the floor all over again.

On Friday I was in the laundry room. I was folding the clothes from the dryer when Sharon appeared behind me.

"Here, these aren't clean," she said as she handed me a basket filled with clothes Halley had already done yesterday.

"Halley did those already," I informed, thinking she was confused.

"I don't care what she did. I'm telling you to do it over and you better get to it right now!" she commanded then left.

What was her problem? I couldn't catch a break. She always popped up when I least expected it, even in my dreams-- I'd had a nightmare she shot me in my back. I feared her, no doubt about it. She seemed like the kind of woman who was capable of doing anything. The kind of woman who could get away with murder.

I redid the laundry, as she requested, folded it and brought it up upstairs to the master bedroom. I was about to enter, since the door was already unlocked, when I heard her on the phone again.

"It's taking longer than I expected. He wants a big wedding with all his useless family and irrelevant friends... Don't worry about it. We'll soon accomplish what we have in store."

Who was she talking to and what were they up to? This was the second time I'd overheard her on the phone, plotting something with the person on the other end and Mr. Hollen seemed to be stuck in the middle of it.

I knocked as she ended the call. She rushed over to me, grabbed the basket and shut the door in my face. I went back downstairs and found Halley in the kitchen making peanut butter sandwiches.

"Hey, girl," she greeted with a smile as I sat my exhausted body down on a chair. "You don't look too good."

"That woman is going to drive me insane," I groaned and rested my head on the counter.