So Long And Goodnight

(Ally POV)

"Good night." Carl waves at me as I stuff my bag under my bed. I look up at him and wave back.

"Night, cowboy."

Carl rolls his eyes before he turns his back on me to leave. "Whatever, Rory."

I gasp at the name, wanting to yell at him(jokingly obviously) for using the nickname he knows nothing about, but he's already gone.

I kick my bag under the bed, giving up on trying to just shove it under. I lay back on the bed with a large sigh, spreading my limbs in all possible directions.

"Hey, Al." I lift my head to see Daryl, peeking his head through the side of the sheet.

"Hey, Daryl." I sit up and he walks in, carrying a light cream colored blanket. He looks around the empty cell, then his eyes find me.

"Nice cell." He comments.

"Thank you." I say, looking around the room as well. "As you can see, I'm big on decorating."

Daryl smiles softly, shaking his head. "You're just like your mother."

That caught me off guard. Just earlier today Carol was telling me how he's never even mentioned having a wife or kid or anything.

Obviously it's a sore subject for him, me as well, how could it not be?

"Really?" My voice low and soft as I ask, looking up at him.

He looks at me, a small smile he's trying to hide(again, he can't fool me, were practically the same person) lingering on his lips, he nods. I look up at him, wanting to know more about my mom.

I barely remember her. He sees it too. He knows it.

Daryl sighs, sitting next to me on the bottom bunk. I turn to face him but he keeps his body facing the far wall. "You've got her eyes too." He says softly, only moving his head to look at me.

I smile at the thought. We sit in silence for a moment as I bully myself to work up the courage to ask him something. "Why... Why didn't you mention me or mom to the others before I got here?"

Daryl looks at me, his stare lingering on my eyes before he looks down at his hands. "I didn't... I didn't want them to know how much of a terrible father... person I was."

I hesitate. "You weren't all bad." I nudge his shoulder. "You were just grieving. People grieve in different ways."

Daryl looks up from his hands and stares at me again. Soon, he nods looking between his hands and me.

"You're still a good person." I tell him. "I think you just were hanging out with Uncle Merle for a bit too long."

He smiles at that, shaking his head. "Yeah, you're right 'bout that one."

I smile too. "He truly wasn't such a bad guy either."

Daryl nods his head. "It was mostly the alcohol talking more than Merle ever did."

I nod in agreement. Daryl looks up at me, staring at me like he's trying to remember something. I try to look into his eyes, trying to see how he feels, but his hair long is in the way, practically covering his eyes.

"Could you move your hair out of your face?" I tease him. "I can't take you seriously if I'm staring at your hair."

He laughs softly, using both hands to smooth the hair out of his eyes on both sides of his face. "Better?"

"Extremely." I giggle, getting a good look at his face for the first time. Again, he stares at me. I think I just remind him so much of Mom, he can't comprehend it.