Chapter 26 - Christmas Tree

This is betrayal! We made an agreement. I know I screwed up before and kept things from her, but why is she doing this now? I've been honest with her ever since and have told her everything going on in my life. When she mentioned my father at the police station I found it odd, but thought she called him to tell him what was going on. Then he calls me in the middle of picking pajamas for my daughter.

"Devin, how's it going? " he asked.

"Overwhelmed as you can imagine. I assume Tania told you that we had to go to the police station to pick Roxy."

"I'm aware of everything that's been going on. I heard that Tessa's boyfriend was involved in dodgy businesses, and if the police wasn't willing to take action, then I was. The idea of my granddaughter living under the same roof as that man was unacceptable."

"Wait! What do you mean take action?"

"I hired the same investigator who found you. She confirmed the rumors and delivered the evidence that led to the arrest."

I was left speechless for a long time.

"Dad," I began when I recovered my talking capacity. "Didn't you think of involving me in something as serious as this? It's my daughter. If you knew that she was in a dangerous situation, you should have told me first."

"I thought about it but things happened too fast. The guy isn't the smartest and it was too easy for the investigator. I also didn't want Tessa to think you were setting a trap to gain Roxy's custody. When I called Tania-"

"Tania? She knows about this?"

His stutter confirmed my question and left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I hung up before he could say anything else and almost broke a hanger as I yanked a pajama into my shopping basket. I paid as soon as possible, barely exchanging a word with the bubbly cashier, and headed to pick my daughter.

I couldn't even look at Tania in the face for fear of saying something hurtful. What did my father and her achieved by withholding the information? I wasn't going to meddle. Why would I do that when they know all I want is Roxy's well being? Did they think I was going to appear at Tessa's door and demand she gives me my daughter back. Is Tony also involved in this?

"I wasn't finished getting your stuff," I say to my daughter while I drive. "I got you underwear and pajamas, but I have no clothes. We need to go back to the stores."

"Can I go back to Tania?" she asks and hearing her name fuels my anger.

"Tania and I are upset with each other, so I need you with me. It's actually good because you need shoes and I don't know your size."

"You are angry with her, she wasn't. I'm size 13. Now you can go to the store and I can stay with Tania."

"Rox, now isn't the time for you to run a smart mouth. Plus why do you want to go back to her? You just met her and barely know her."

She shrugs and goes back to looking out the window.

"She was showing me how to decorate a Christmas tree. Can we get a Christmas tree? We don't have one at the apartment and they are pretty. Santa can leave our gifts under it. I hope he knows I live now in another house."

Gifts? Christmas! Another house? Of course, I saw the decorations at the mall and there isn't a place where they aren't playing Christmas songs, but I haven't had time to internalize the holiday is almost knocking at the door. I never celebrate Christmas. It's usually me nursing Tony back to sobriety after he's gone out to some strange party since Roxy has always spent it with her mom. Where to start? Maybe I should give Tania a call. Wait! No! She has betrayed me and I will figure out this on my own.