Chapter Thirty-One

Asami's POV

It sucks to be forced to leave. It sucks being forced to pack up everything you've created with your friends you'd call family and it definitely sucks to be forced to do so in confinement within the four walls of your room.

But most of all it sucks to know you're leaving people behind and I don't want to leave. I don't want to leave her.

But I can't even tell her!

Thanks to my father, the internet connection in and out of the mansion were cut off. So all devices were basically useless. The security software was running on a private network that I don't have access to.

I groaned inwardly as I paced around the room looking for a solution. I couldn't think of any. Dozens of maids were currently with me, as they quietly packed my belongings. Two armed security guards were posted right outside my bedroom door, courtesy of my dear father. One of the maids lingered around one of my cabinets. I gasped as she took away the photos of Korra and me.

"What are you doing with those pictures?" I yelled in panic.

"I was told to throw these away, miss." She answered timidly.

"By who?"

"Your father, miss," She said confidently as if it was one of the most practical things to do when moving away.

I groaned and placed the pictures back on the cabinets.

"No one touches these pictures, do you all understand?" I commanded to everyone in the room, but it was mostly directed to the maid who touched them first.

I opened the door to try and leave but was immediately blocked by the guards, their rifles were secure in their hands as they tried to intimidate me.

"Sorry miss, you can't leave your room." One of them spoke as I tried to sidestep past them.

"I need to speak to my father." I tried to sidestep again, but he blocked the way with his rifle.

"Your father's not home. He specifically told us not to let you leave the room." He recited.

"Okay fine." I tried to walk through but now both of their rifles were blocking my way.

"I need to use the bathroom," I stated matter-of-factly. They looked at me weirdly knowing that I had a private bathroom in my room.

"What? Your telling that I'm not allowed to take a dump too?"

Their faces subtly cringed simultaneously, then lowered their rifles to their sides. They moved aside letting me pass and I subtly smiled to myself.

I glanced over my shoulder to see them eyeing my every move. The closest bathroom in the hallways was only a few steps away from my bedroom. I specifically asked it to be built that way for guests to be able to use it quickly and not get lost in the mansion.

I slipped into the bathroom before they could say otherwise, then locked the door. I then peeked out the window. Unfortunately, I was three stories above the ground. Well, there goes my jumping-off-the-window idea.

I looked for other ways to get out. There weren't any vent openings on the ceiling either. I thought about shouting for help, but that would just be idiotic. I reached into my pockets for my phone and tried to get a signal but it wasn't working. Nothing was working.

"Miss, your father wants to see you now." One of the guards called out.

I let out a sigh. I knew this was pointless. I had to face him. It's the only way I'll ever get a chance to tell Korra.

I took a deep breathe and opened the door, revealing the same two guards. They gripped their rifles and escorted me to my dad's study.

Even though I have lived in this mansion for my entire life, I barely entered my father's study. He had always been a very private man and he usually locked the room whenever he wasn't around. It was one of the things that I hated about my father. He doesn't trust his own family enough to even let us see his study.

As we neared the room, my palms began to moist. My father was seldom angry. But whenever he is, it had always been tough to be around him. But as I glanced at how tense the two well-built men trained to protect and potentially kill someone, in front of me, I knew I wasn't the only one who was afraid.

The knocked timidly on the door, once the faint voice of my father telling me to enter was heard, I stepped inside and immediately the guards moved out of the way.

I stepped inside cautiously. My father was busy looking over a few papers on his desk, so I took a minute to observe his room. On the far center of the room was where his large oak desk was placed. He was sitting on a wheeled leather chair, directly in front of a burning fireplace. Across from his desk were two long nubuck leather couches, with a rectangular coffee table on the center.

There were several family portrait painting hanged on the walls. There was one where I was only a toddler, one where I was in grade school, and one during middle school. I always thought that family portraits were supposed to show the happiest events in a person's life. So I always tried my best to smile in them. I thought these were happy moments.

But the longer I stared at these paintings, and how they progress from one to another. I saw the truth. Those smiles full of joy gradually became forced. The poses full of laughter became stiff and lifeless. Eventually, it came to a point where we weren't even smiling anymore.

How did I miss it? How did I become so blinded by everything that I didn't notice this family falling apart? We were a cracked mirror, constantly being put up and pulled down again. It was only a matter of time before we'd eventually break.

"Asami," My father's voice echoed through the room, snapping me back to reality. He gestured towards the couch and I took a seat. He placed his papers on the desk. "What can I do for you?" He asked monotonously, treating me as if I was one of his business partners. His glare was cold and even though he was looking at me, I felt as though he doesn't even see me.

"Father," I hesitated. "I'd like to say goodbye to my friends before I leave." I pleaded.

"There's no need for that." He states frankly. "I've already told your principal. They will be notified eventually." He propped his elbows on the desk, pressing his fingers together.

"I'll leave without a fight." My voice began to crack. "I'll do anything you want. Just please let me say goodbye."

A sudden flicker flashed within the dark blue eyes of my father. "Anything?"

I nodded slowly. He stood from his seat and faced the fireplace. He stared at the burning wood for a while, watching the amber flakes dance around his feet.

"I'll make you a deal. I will be holding a ball in this house, to sponsor for a colleague's political campaign. I'll allow you to invite your friends to say farewell. In return..." He said, keeping his eyes on the fireplace.

He then straightened up and glared at me, with the most menacing eyes. They were indifferent and emotionless. It was as if the father I thought I knew didn't even exist.

"You will attend the boarding school with my colleague's son and once you graduate, you will marry him."