Gone

The following weekend, Damon, Jeremy, and I had the task of taking Bonnie to perform a spell at the site of the witch massacre. Thankfully, Doctor Martin gave Bonnie her powers back and the spot that marked the witches deaths would be an immense source of power... perhaps even enough to take down an original. It was nerve wracking to think about, and not for mine or my familys' sake. For Bonnies.

As Damon pushed open the door of the crumbling house, I hung back a little.
"What's the problem?" Damon asked, causing the other two to turn  and face me.
"I think it'll better if I wait outside" I smiled, shaking my head, "a hundred witches died here, a hundred servants of nature" I paused, looking into the darkened hallway.  "A vampire setting foot inside, especially an original, would be... disrespectful" I noted, glancing to Bonnie, who nodded understandingly in response. Damon however, ignored my words and went in anyway, snorting derisively as he did so.

Not two minutes later, Damon stormed out frustratedly.
"I told you so" I chimed, smirking slightly from where I was sat on the floor, leaning against the wall. He looked down at me and nodded.
"Yeah... they did not like me being there".
"No shit" I laughed, standing up to face him. After a few moments of silence, he turned and called into the house again, before he door slammed in his face.
"Screw you too, Emily" he muttered.
I scoffed and shook my head. "You know you're on your own in there" he shouted, "Come on, let's go home" he said to me.

After an exceedingly awkward ride home in almost complete silence, we pulled up at The Salvatore Mansion once more. As Damon cut off the engine, he turned to me.
"I know we haven't spoken a lot... since, well..." I paused, fiddling with the corner of my jacket.
"Since we nearly kissed" he said, his tone unclear, before he smirked at me suggestively.
"Yeah... that" I laughed, before the smile on my face faded. I sighed in frustration, turning to face him.

"Somethings bothering you..." Damon noted, lifting his hand up and tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear. I could feel the warmth of his fingers and I shivered. "What is it?" He asked.
"I just... there are things that you don't know about us, things that I want you to know, but I-". He glanced at me curiously, the look of amusement in his eyes slowly disappearing.
"Then tell me" Damon mumbled, his eyes full of concern. I sighed in exasperation, struggling to think of something to say. Anything.

"I can't, Damon" I said simply. He leaned back slightly, blinking in surprise. "There are things that I made you forget in 1864, for good reason and if I spring those memories on you, I'm scared..." I paused, turning away slightly to avoid his eyes as I fiddled with the corner of my jacket. "I'm scared that you'll see me differently, that you'll see me for who I was then... rather than who I am now". I felt him grab my shoulder gently, causing me to turn back to face him. He looked so confused it was painful. "We are different people now, Damon... and adding anything more to our friendship would just be too much, I'm sorry" I finished.

"Wait" Damon interrupted, "are you saying that me and you were..." he pointed between us, "y'know", he smirked. I snorted at that, wiping my eyes as a grin spread across my face.
"Yeah... I guess we were".
"And did I rock your world harder than that Tyler kid?" he said in amusement, leaning forward slightly. I punched him lightly on the arm in response to that.
"Hmm" I grinned, "I cant quite remember" I added teasingly.
"Interesting choice of words, Grace" he finished, causing the grin on my face to fade into nothing. I noticed that, again, our faces were far too close for comfort.
"Do you want to remember?" I asked curiously. I had no right to selfishly deny him that if he did, I knew that much atleast.

"I-" Damon began, before a ringtone from his phone interrupted, causing him to sigh in frustration and pull it out. "Liz Forbes..." he noted, before answering, a frown now plastered on his face. I could hear their conversation and knew this was important. When he hung up, I nodded, before getting out of the car.
"I'll... see you later" I smiled gently as I shut the door. He nodded in response, starting up the engine once more.

When I stepped into the boarding house I couldn't help but notice how quiet it was.
"Katerina?" I shouted, "Are you here?". I received no response, which caused a frown to spread across my face as I made my way into the parlour. She was supposed to stay here, to keep a low profile and not draw attention to herself. Then again, I could hardly blame her for not wanting to stay in here all the time, I was already bored with nobody here. Atleast Stefan and Elena were due back from The Lockwoods soon.
"Katerina!" I shouted again, before sitting down on the sofa in frustration, I texted Damon and Stefan to let them know she wasn't at home. The last thing they needed was a surprise doppelgänger showing up and confusing half the town.

After nearly an hour of flipping through one of the Gilbert journals, I heard the latch on the door. I turned in time to see Damon come in, a figure slung over his shoulders.
"Is that..."
"John Gilbert" Damon finished, placing him on the ground in a less than gently manner.
"Is this what Liz phoned you for?" I asked as Damon glanced at his blood covered hands and shirt.
"Yep" Damon answered, cocking his head slightly as he walked by so that I would follow. "Believe me, explaining to the mayor and chief of police how a dead founder is only temporarily dead was not easy..." he said as we went upstairs.
"Temporarily dead?" I frowned.
"He's got Rics Gilbert ring, he'll come around soon" he said as we went into his room. I hung back a moment, remembering the last time that I was in here, before stepping in after him.

"Any idea where Katherine's slithered off to?" He queried, the dry amusement ever-present in his voice.
"She was gone when I came in" I shrugged, leaning against the doorway as Damon washed and dried his hands.
"Sure you didn't scare her off? You're quite good at that" he mused, smirking slightly as he turned to me. Unexpectedly however, he pulled his shirt over his chest, leaving it to fall to the floor.
"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked, attempting to avert my eyes from his torso as I felt my cheeks burn in embarrassment.
"Well... I did hear you two the other night" he said, stepping towards me confidently. I avoided his eyes in determination, glaring at the floor.
"Come on, Grace, I know you must've eavesdropped too" he added as he reached me. A hand going onto the wall behind as he leaned over me. "She was right y'know" he said softly, as his fingers gently tilted my chin upwards. Just as I locked eyes with him however, his phone rang out again.

He groaned in frustration as he pushed himself off the wall. Leaving me stood there in utter confusion, my face burning brightly still. I heard Stefans panicked voice on the other end of the line.
"What?!" Damon demanded, before slamming the phone down. He turned back to the sink and began rummaging through the bowl of soap bars.
"No, no, no!" Damon's anger rose, sending the bowl flying with a single strike.
"Damon!" I said, knowing that I needed to calm him down. I grabbed his arm, only for him to pull it away harshly. "Damon, what is it?"
"She took the moonstone, Grace!" He said, the rage in his voice as he spun around to face me. His eyes softening slightly as the realisation filled my own.

This was bad. Very bad.