Burning

Quickly, she folded her fingers around the necklace, hiding it in her palm. "Professor Snape! We were just ..." Lena stumbled over her own words with a tell-tale blush on her frozen cheeks.

".... up to something?" he concluded without a hint of amusement in his voice.

Jessica seized the opportunity to rescue her friend. "Lena isn't feeling well, Sir, so we returned early."

"I see." He lifted an eyebrow, tilting his head in obvious suspicion as he inspected the student in question. "Then, Ms. Flowers, I shall accompany you to the infirmary."

He didn't wait for any further excuses but turned his back to the Slytherins and headed into the direction of the hospital wing, apparently expecting Lena to follow.

Jessica gave the insecure girl a helpless shrug before she obeyed the Potions Master's unvoiced command.

With a queasy feeling, she rushed after him down the corridor, repeatedly investigating the secret treasure in her hand. She couldn't think of an explanation as to why the pendant had suddenly started to glow white, but she was determined to uncover its magic. Why had the witch given her the necklace for free? And moreover, who was she? Could she trust that the lady hadn't given her a cursed amulet?

So many questions whirled in Lena's head that she became lightheaded and uncharacteristically bold. As her eyes rested on the broad shoulders in front of her, which were covered with heavy, black fabric, an absurd thought crossed her mind. Maybe the Potions Master had an answer? Maybe he could shed some light on this extremely confusing encounter with the witch? It probably wasn't one of her best ideas, it wasn't even a good one. If she was honest, it was a pretty stupid one. Nevertheless, options were limited, and she would just take her chances. A gruff response was better than not trying at all. At least, that's what she convinced herself to believe.

Exhaling deeply, she braced herself for the rude remarks her inquiry was about to elicit. And then, with a slight tremor in her voice, she dared to address him.

"Professor?"

He didn't slow down, didn't even turn his head. He just kept on rushing through the castle as if his life depended on it.

"Yes?" he spat.

"I was wondering if you happen to know the woman who works at Dervish & Banges?"

Now the professor did halt, regarding Lena with a deep frown. "What woman?"

"The ... The witch at the store." Why did he have to be so intimidating? Lena hated the fact that she sounded like a silly three-year-old who yet had to master the use of language whenever she spoke to him. It took all of her willpower to continue. "Gray hair, red glasses, very slim, and very friendly."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," he stated flatly, wrinkling his forehead. "There is only one person who works there and has for as long as I can remember. The man does have gray hair, but no glasses, and surely can't be mistaken for a woman."

"Oh." Lena chewed on her lip, thinking. "Maybe she is new."

"Certainly not," he scoffed. "I was there this morning and I can assure you that I did not come across a witch who would fit your description, not even remotely. Mr. Yardley is still the only shop assistant."

Lena suddenly felt a wave of nausea rolling through her stomach. "Are you sure?"

The Potions Master looked at her as if she had lost her mind. "Indeed, I am," he drawled. "Do you have any reason to doubt my sincerity?" The corner of his mouth revealed a slight smirk, as his black eyes attentively roamed over the girl's face, following her jawline down to her neck, further tracing the elegant bow of the collar bone to the row of buttons on her chest, unaware how furiously her heart was beating underneath. Tormenting her even more, his gaze dropped down to her legs, before two raven-black eyes locked again with her own.