Schemes

By the time Cap and Chyna returned to Skunkhair's cabin stars were starting to speckle the bright orange sky

Skunkhair was kind enough not to comment on the pairs flushed faces.

The same could not be said for Cotton as he sang much like a teasing child. "why's your faces all red?"

Chyna's eyes darted everywhere but Cap just shrugged "cause it's cold" he said calmly.

Skunkhair chuckled and shook his head.

That night no matter how hard he tried, Cap couldn't keep a smile off his face.

He lay in his bed, Robert E and Cotton had already gone to sleep. He took the chance to reflect on what happened over and over again in his head.

Although he hard to admit it, he was giddier thank a school girl. Hello could remember how each kiss felt, and that made his smile grow.

Footsteps could be heard coming up to the room. Cap reached over to the nightstand and grabbed one of many books he had been accumulating lately.

Opening it he used it to hide his face.

"every time I see you now you got your nose pressed into a book" Johnsey said.

"yeah? That so? You ain't around much anymore so everytime really ain't often is it? " Cap said casually, his eyes started to scan the book. If he had to put up with Johnsey, might as well read for real .

"I got things to see too, an' ain't that a woman's book anyhow? Last of the Mohicans " Johnsey scoffed.

Cap lowered the book below his eyes. "it ain't a woman's book, so it's got romance in it. It's also got wars, feuds and executions in it" Cap muttered dryly.

"yeah well Ma was readin it too" Johnsey said.

Johnsey started to make a pallet for himself on the floor. Cap finally set down his book and arched one brow at his brother.

"you stayin here tonight? " Cap asked Johnsey.

"yeah what of it? " he asked back sharply.

"you been gone for over a week, an' you ain't been at work. got the rest of us bustin ass trying to cover for you, mainly me" Cap said calmly.

"what are you so sore about? " Johnsey asked trying his best to avoid eye contact.

"what are you hiddin?" Cap asked in a low tone.

Johnsey sighed "nothing, I just can't say here, reminds me of Rosanna..... what I - how I did her. Been staying up at my still... " Johnsey confessed.

Cap said nothing, giving Johnsey a long stare, his face severely unconvinced face.

Johnsey shivered "you kinda look like Pa when you do that" he said.