Mantra of lies

Chapter 28

Ellas P.O.V:

"Hey?"

"Ella?"

"Hey, you have to wake up now."

"Ella?"

"Wake up."

I bolted upright as my mind realized he might have come back earlier than I expected and Mony and I might be in trouble. My forehead his something hard and I fall back onto the matress.

"Shit, Ella!" Simon cursed as he reeled back, clutching his nose. I blinked in surprise and confusion before I spot the blood running down his face.

"Crap, Simon. I'm sorry. I'll get you a tissue. Just give me a sec," I exclaimed swirling my feet from the bed. My vision clouded over as the blood rushed to my head and I closed my eyes.

"El?" Simon asked anxiously.

"I'm fine." I waved off his concern and stood on unsteady feet. "I'll only be a second," I re-established and slowly walked down the hall and towards where I suspected the tissue box to be.

"Where did I put- Ah there it is." I grabbed the box and shuffled back to my room where Simon was sitting holding his nose.

"Here you go," I muttered and handed him the box. I sat back on the bed and closed my eyes for a few seconds to regain my uneven breathing.

"Hey, are you okay?" he asked worriedly.

"I should be asking you that," I chuckled and opened my eyes to meet his smiling face.

"Yeah. Damn you have a hard head," he complained and I chuckled at the image of me headbutting his nose.

"I can imagine that would hurt," I admitted with a grin.

"Anyway, I woke you up because Mony will be home soon," he informed me and I sobered up, cursing as I sit up straighter.

"What am I going to do when he comes home tonight? I can't do anything in this state. I won't be able to hold out long enough. What if he goes after Mony?" I cursed again and tried to think of any workable plan but everything I came up with had too many holes and undependable variables.

"Crap, Simon." I pushed my hair from my face in desperation.

"You'll just have to hide and wait it out," he offered but I shook my head.

"That won't work."

"I'm sorry. I wish I could offer my house, but with my dad..." he trailed off and I immediately snapped out of it. I wasn't the only one suffering and all I was doing was making Simon feel guilty.

"I know," I said softly and pulled him into a hug. "It's not your fault." He immediately hugged back and I smiled at the familiar squeeze. "You should get home to your mom." He nodded and kissed my forehead tenderly. I looked at him with eyes glazed by tears which I quickly blinked away.

"And Simon?" I called after him.

"Hm."

"Thank you."

"That's what friends are for, right?" he called back. His voice sounded... sad? Or perhaps it was because he was already down the stairs that his voice sounded funny. I frowned as I replayed the sentence in my head.

"Oh, hello, Simon. I didn't know you were visiting us today." I heard Mony's voice echo from downstairs. I couldn't hear Simon's reply but I assumed it was something silly.

"I'm up here!" I yelled hoping she would hear.

"I'll be right there!" she yelled back. I got curious as to why she was taking so long so I snuck from the room and waited at the top of the stairs.