0.3

IT WAS NOON when Mal woke up next

IT WAS NOON when Mal woke up next. Eve was gone, her side of the bed cold, meaning she had been gone for a while. It made sense; Mal had the day off, but Eve didn't. Groaning, Mal reached a hand out for her phone, grabbing it off of the side table. She scrolled through some notifications, a few texts from Eve, and a text from Tony asking if she liked her job at SHIELD better than the one he offered her at Stark Industries. Mal rolled her eyes, sitting up before her phone rang. Frowning, Mal answered it, pressing the phone against her ear.

"Hello?" She asked, slowly standing up from her bed.

"Owens, I'll be out front in ten minutes. Look alive." Fury said simply before hanging up. Mal sighed, groaning again before she threw her phone on the bed. She didn't have time for a shower, so she made due with pulling her hair up into a ponytail and quickly washing her face. Pulling on a fairly new pair of black jeans that Mal had already begun ripping a hole in the left knee of, she decided to grab a simple black t-shirt to go with it. She didn't have much color in her wardrobe these days, besides the occasional purple, green and white. Grabbing her jacket, Mal slid it on before pulling on her boots. After a brief moment of thought, Mal grabbed her knife from under her pillow (a habit she picked up from Natasha), and slid it into her boot. When it came to Fury, there was no telling what was in store for her, and it was always better to be safe than sorry. A honk from outside let Mal know that Fury was there. Grabbing her phone, Mal made sure the apartment door was locked behind her as she left.

Opening the door of Fury's SUV, Mal slid into the passenger seat, slamming the door shut. Fury took off immediately, making Mal roll her eyes

"So, whats up?" She asked when they slowed to a red light. Fury looked over at her, but then his eyes travelled past her. Mal turned her head to look at the officers in the car next to them.

"Wanna see my lease?" Fury snapped, and the officer driving scowled before turning on his sirens and driving forward. When the light turned green, Fury started driving again. Suddenly, a police car smashed into the driver side of the car. The SUV shifted, being pushed up against some poles on the outside edge of the sidewalk. Mal groaned as her head bashed against the window, a pounding ache radiating through her. Another car rammed into the passenger side of the car, making Mal lurch to the side, a sickening crunch followed by pain exploding in her side made Mal yelp.

"Multiple fractures detected." The cars AI informed them, and Mal groaned again. "Recommend anesthetic injection."

"Why is it always the ribs?" She muttered miserably, watching Fury lean over and open the glove compartment in front of Mal. He pulled out two shots, handing one to Mal before he stabbed the other one into his injured arm. Sucking in a shaky breath, Mal pulled the cap off of the needle, before swiftly jabbing it into her side. She winced as the anesthetic surged into her body.

"D.C. Metro Police dispatch shows no units in this area." The AI said, and Fury and Mal both stopped to look at each other. Mal tried not to look as terrified as she felt in that moment.