Chapter Fourteen

Tania

She dashed from the bed to the toilet just in time to hug the porcelain god and give all she had as her stomach rose in nausea

She dashed from the bed to the toilet just in time to hug the porcelain god and give all she had as her stomach rose in nausea. It heaved and spasmed, purging itself of the little she had ingested the previous night until there was nothing to give. Even then her body rebelled and sought to expel its contents til finally, it stopped.

Sweaty, exhausted she lay her head on the seat, her hand weakly reaching out to flush. Her breath heavy, she took a moment to gather herself, to let the misery of the morning fall behind her. It would be better after this, once the morning sickness subsided her numbness would reassert itself.

With some effort, Nia pushed herself off the floor. After rinsing her mouth and giving her teeth a vigorous brush she trudged back into the room. To start the day with another morning ritual, convincing herself it would get better.

Too caught up in the physical misery she could not numb herself to, she stumbled as she caught sight of the prim female weres sitting in the room's two chairs. Power radiated from them, raw but contained so that it was easy to ignore if you had no sense of self-preservation.

Nia tilted her head to the side, baring her throat in submission to the Lunas. She had expected to have to go find them, not to have them come to her. Unsure what else to do she kept to her pose, saying nothing. What was there to say? Her mate had told her about the moon pretty much bullying the alpha bloods into accepting her family. Which left them at an awkward impasse.

"No need for that, dear." The Luna sitting next to the bed she had used said. Her scent had something in common with her mate, his dam would be a good guess. She looked like she was only a few years older than her son, which would make her a century or two years old. "Here," the Luna continued, "this might help with the nausea."

Nia turned to look at the mini dresser where the Luna had indicated. Where it had been empty of even a vase, it now held a silver tray on which there was a plate of cracker biscuits and a Dr. Pepper. Who put crackers and Dr. Pepper on a silver tray? The plate appeared to be fine china, ringed with gold. She hesitated to even approach it. It looked like something that should be on display not serving a threadbare homeless teen like her.

The Luna smiled at her, understanding in her eyes. Nia was surprised to see that the smile was genuine. Shouldn't she be upset to be saddled with her for a daughter-in-law? She wasn't bringing any status to their pack and they already knew she wasn't a fighter, not to mention she came with baggage.

Turning to the other Luna her unease increased as she received another encouraging smile. Without any other choice, she complied with them. "Thank you." She said as she sat back down and reached for the tray.

For a moment she stared at it, unable to believe she was holding something that surely cost more than her wardrobe at home. Why were they being so nice to her?

Deciding to cut to the chase she looked back to her mate's mother. "I thought you'd send someone when you wanted to see me." Interview would be the nicer of the true terms, she thought.