Chapter 32: Jasper

"Why are they framing her?" Jasper spoke under his breath.

"Didn't you say it was because of what she said to that therapist?" Lucas asked. "That they used her confidential conversation as motive or something?"

"Yeah, and they don't really need a reason to say she did it. They can just say it," Brenan added.

"That's what I originally thought, but now I'm not so sure. Don't you think it's a little too convienant they had her to blame for something they obviously had planned? I mean, that's really leaving it to chance."

Lucas and Brenan exchanged glances before gesturing for Jasper to explain more. Pacing the room, he continued sharing his new theory.

"Okay, remember how I told you guys about the security officers saying mercenaries further east were possibly the cause of the attack?"

"Mmhm. You said you overheard them when they ran pass you, headed to the front gate of campus."

"I did," Jasper confirmed. "And I thought that meant they were behind the bombings...but then why would the government be covering it up for them? They've always campaigned that the mercenaries were rogue citizens that needed to be stopped. Why delete footage and let an innocent take the fall?"

The three of them exchanged looks of wonder, neither of them having an answer for such an important question.

"What about President Hayes?" Brenan questioned. "Guys, the president was assassinated! I'm pretty sure he wasn't just collateral damage."

"Yeah, yeah. I think you're onto something, Brenan," Jasper said, wagging a finger at him as he pondered what was just mentioned.

What was the reason behind his murder?

"Who stood to gain from his death?" Jasper asked, trying to get some feedback that would help make sense of things.

"I don't know, anyone who didn't like him?" Brenan shrugged. "Maybe all those feminists that wanted a female president, considering Vice President Denali has taken over. Her gaining office certainly has pacified a lot of Galdean women."

"Or maybe President Denali, herself," Jasper muttered, letting the cogs in his brain turn. What if she was so hungry for power she orchestrated the whole thing?

Minutes went by as Jasper robotically paced the room, trying his best not to let the momentum die. He could feel that they were on the brink of another breakthrough.

"Um...I hate to be that guy, but don't you think we're a bit out of our depth?" Lucas cringed to ask. "I mean...this is starting to look like a governmental conspiracy. What are three guys like us going to do against a power nation with an undefeated army? What if we're just wasting our time?"

Brenan looked to Jasper, waiting to see his response; Lucas doing the same.

"I don't need to hear that kind of stuff. You of all people should know that, Luke," Jasper noted, eyeing his friend. "Giving up is not an option."

How can I give up on Syd when I love her the way that I do?

"You're right. My bad, man," Lucas apologized.

His eyes shined with recognition; he knew exactly why Jasper said what he did.

"We're going to get Sydney back," Lucas declared, assuring Jasper that he was with him.

Jasper smiled, pulling his friend into a brotherly hug. He realized how glad he was to have Lucas; he filled some of the void that was left behind when Liz and Sydney left. There was no way he could fill it all, but he dulled the pain enough to keep him moving.