The True Betrothed

Second prince Hoon had the face of a man who was struck in love. Like a cupid's arrow that blinded him, prince Hoon was bewildered, hypnotized, and captivated by his future bride.

He lost all manners of focus and dropped the books from his arms, he reached for his bride's hand and held it tenderly within his palms. "I am to be your husband."

"...and I am to be your wife." I returned.

"Forgive how I acted, I don't like being bothered in my office." My betrothed spoke with unusual kindness and softness in his voice, just as any man would when speaking to a woman he loves.

I dipped my head in an apologetic bow. "No, it's my fault. I barged in your office without permission. I wouldn't have done that if I knew this was your room."

A smile caressed his lips. "Irrelevant, I'm glad you wandered in here or else..." He paused as he caught himself. Prince Hoon strayed his glance elsewhere while I sensed a ripple of guilt within him. "Forgive your betrothed, I had been foolish and stubborn the past couple weeks."

"Do I disappoint you, my prince?" I asked.

"No, Jasmine. It was me you should be disappointed with."

Prince Hoon tugged my hand, he had not let it go ever since. He took me deeper inside the room, and I noticed how dark it was inside. Every window was shut tight with curtains drawn in, I wondered whether it had something to do with his numerous illnesses.

A single lantern sat by his desk, lighting the parchments and scrolls he's working on.

"Are you nervous?" He inquired softly.

My fingers curled in his palm, I've been nervous since the moment I knocked those books by the door. "Yes."

"Did I scare you earlier?" His voice was a gentle stroke.

"Yes," I admitted.

His tender hand squeezed mine. They were soft, without the rough calluses of third prince Julong's hands. I could tell my betrothed was not inclined to handling swords, and perhaps, any type of weapons, unlike his more robust little brother.

"Please accept my apology, you'll never hear me use that tone with you again." The prince coughed and reached for a kerchief inside his robe to cover his mouth. What started as a mild cough progressed into something alarming that I thought for a second, I'll have to rush outside the door and fetch one of his guardsmen.

"Are you alright?" I asked, pressing my other hand on his back, my attention shifted solely to him.

"I'm alright," He murmured. "It's just a cough."

My attention was stolen, swept by the exquisite forest of books and scrolls in his office. The second prince has a library built inside. He followed my gaze and noticed my interest which poked his own curiosity. The prince looked like he couldn't wait to get to know his strange future wife.

"Do you like books?" He inquired.

"I like stories, your highness."

"Ah, literature. I have plenty of literature in my collection."

But my answer made me nervous, what if the prince expected me to read a book to him?

Prince Hoon smiled and led me to the part of the library where he had his literature. He picked up a small book and dusted the thin layer of dirt that made its home in it. "This should be easy enough for you to read."

He turned to me, and I was surprised how he knew I could barely read.

"Better yet," he strolled and led me to his desk. "I'll help you read it."

Struck, I asked him... "how did you know I could barely read?"

He sighed and placed the book down on his desk. The prince finally let go of my hand and fetched a chair nearby. He settled it right beside his, so we may sit right next to each other. "All your progress is reported to me by all your instructors. Your lessons are managed by me. It is up to me how fast you learn, what you learn, and everything else." He looked up and searched my face. "I apologize if I had been impatient."

My mouth opened, I had no idea the involvement prince Hoon had in my stay here so far. "What about the clothes?" I asked since most clothes sent to me were far more luxurious than anyone in the consort's courtyard.

"Your clothes are chosen by the imperial seamstress. I only instructed them to give the best fabric the palace had to offer. You were my betrothed even though I had yet to meet you, it's only fitting you are given the finest."

I blushed, but I was reminded suddenly of a meeting I nearly forgot. I made third prince Julong wait long enough, and I didn't want to make him wait anymore.

The prince noticed the sudden fret in my expression. "What's the matter?"

"I have to go." I said apologetically," I have to meet someone, and I made him wait long enough."

"Sit down, Jasmine." He gestured to the chair he set up for me. "If it's little brother you're worried about, worry not. You will not hear from him anymore, he will not hover around you anymore. You're free from his shadow from now on."

My chest squeezed tight. So he knew...?

I took to the sit and sat quietly for a little while. Second prince Hoon lifted the cover of the book and turned to the first page, though I had a feeling he sensed the worry in me and felt the need to address it.