Chapter 38

"Are your ready?" My mother knocks gently on my bedroom door. She comes  in and looks at me sadly. 

"No, I dont't think I ever will be." I sigh as I gaze at my appearance reflected in the mirror. 

"C'mon, we should head over shortly." My mother sighs before tugging me downstairs. I join my father and brother in the car as we quietly drive off. The silence is almost unbearable, but none of us have any heart in breaking it. I can see my parents exchanging looks every so often as they glance at my brother and I.

Eventually, we get there. I look entrance, almost laughing to myself at the sad attempts the gardener did to brighten everything up. The bold words of "cemetery" still stick out like a sore thumb. The only thing missing right now is pouring rain and overcast skies. I guess that would make the mood worse. The cheery, bright skies only fail to brighten my mood. 

The four of join the small crowd gathered before us. Half of those who have gathered here are from my family. I'm a little surprised as more and more people gather. There must be at least sixty people here by the time everything starts. I'm not surprised that so many people have gathered here to see Sky off. He had a very strong presence in the technology field. There are even some prominent figures that have arrived out of respect for Sky. I don't exactly recognize who they are but judging from the bodyguards, they must be of some importance. 

"We are gathered here today..." I try to focus on the rest of the words but everything seems muffled and far away. The heavy feeling sinks in. Sky is not here anymore. I look down and try to get rid of this awful feeling. I squeeze my eyes closed. Then, I open them when I feel someone reach down and grip my hand. I smile just the slightest when I see my brother Rob. He gives a tight squeeze before glancing forward again. 

I stand next to him and sigh. Eventually, Sky's coffin is lowered to the ground. People start dispersing and slowly talking to one another in whispers, as if it would somehow disturb people. 

I look far out towards the trees and see man walking off amongst the crowd. I don't know why, but I immediately rush off after him. 

"Excuse me...pardon me...sorry..." I whisper as I squeeze my way through. At last, I reach the man. Grabbing his shoulder, he turns around.

"Luca," I say his name as I struggle to catch my breath. 

"I shouldn't be here. I'm sorry. I'll leave." He seems conflicted as he backs away in a rush. 

"No. Thank you for coming to pay your respects." I decide to say. He wasn't there. Obviously, I don't blame him. It seems like everything was so long ago. Rather than hold a grudge, I would rather not think about it anymore. If there was anyone to blame, then it's the person who pulled the trigger: Lucian. 

"O-of course." He seems surprised at my answer. To be honest, I am a little surprised too. We stand there a little awkwardly as we both seem to want to ask each other questions but are hesitating. 

"How's your brother?" I finally ask.

"He's well. He's recovering from what happened. As soon as he is able, the two of us are leaving for our hometown." 

"Where's that?" I can't surprise he wants to leave here. There's nothing here for him. 

"A small, rural town in Italy. My mother was born and raised there. My grandparents and most of my mother's side are still there. I grew up there for a few years before my mother brought us to the states. I don't have a plan other than to relax there, but I will figure it out there." 

"Ah, that sounds nice. When do you head out?"

"Hopefully, the day after tomorrow." 

"Safe travels then." I nod towards him. He sticks his hand out.