twenty-one | dan

a/n I never do author's notes so this might be annoying, but I just published my first original story, so if you guys could read it that would be great, thanks :)
____________________________________

Dan isn't afraid to admit Phil's newfound friendship with Brian makes himself queasy. It's not the fact that Brian would be considered a troublemaker, it's something else he can't quite put a finger on.

When he voiced his worries to the girls and Jake, the same responses cake from the three of them.

"Oh, that's easy, you're just jealous." Jake said.

The girls agreed, but Dan thought that was ridiculous, what has he got to be jealous of. Plus, he's pretty sure Brian is straight.

"You guys are idiots." He muttered as Phil made his way over to the table.

"Why are they idiots." Phil asked.

Dan closed his eyes and laid his head on Phil's shoulder as he sat down to have lunch with them. Even if he's been able to hear for two weeks he never gets tired of hearing Phil's voice. He sounded like a cloud, light and full of life.

"Oh you know, they just are." Dan said at the same time someone shouted.

"Hey Lester!"

They all turned and looked over at Brian's table, him and a few of other kids eating chips and drinking soda like it ascended from heaven.

"Hey Brian!" Phil shouted back.

Dan rolled his eyes, it's been like this for the longest, them shouting back and forth at each other everytime they saw each other. It made it really hard to concentrate on his plans. Valentine's day was in two days and Dan was trying to plan something special for them to do but he haven't thought of anything yet. He though of taking him to the zoo, he knew Phil had a thing for animals. Then a dinner, but where? Dan couldn't afford anything fancy, he hoped Phil would understand.

"Earth to Dan."

Phil was waving his hand in front of Dan's face, he looked worried but gave him a smile. "You okay?"

Dan nodded, laying his head on Phil's shoulder once again. "I'm fine."

He was not fine.
______________________________________

Dan was still trying to find something to do for Phil on Valentine's day. It was tomorrow, and he still didn't know where to take him for dinner. Jesus, he would have an easier time proposing to him then this.

They were hanging out in Dan's room after school, some music was playing off Dan's phone. He had recently got into some artist called Kanye, Phil wasn't particular to his music but he would listen to anything Dan wanted.

"Do you mind the music, I could change it." Dan asked.

He got no reply from Phil so he looked up from his laptop to see Phil gazing his phone smiling. Dan was a little pissed, they were already on the end of their third book. A sci-fi novel, that they both were supposed to be working on. So far he felt he was the only one doing his part in the ending. Writing a book in the point of view of an alien was tough.

"Phil!"

Phil looked up from the phone over at Dan, he was resting on Dan's bed while he was at the laptop. Phil gave him a look of confusion.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

Dan rolled his eyes and gritted his teeth. "Nevermind."

Phil's voice was soft. "Why are you mad?"

"I'm not."

"Yeah you are."

Dan didn't say anything, he just went back to typing, hoping Phil wouldn't bring it up again. Of course that was wishful thinking.

"Dan, what's wrong?"

"Nothing!" Dan snapped. "Just go back to texting your damn friend, I've got it."

Phil was silent for a moment, the  Dan saw him shift from the bed. He thought he was leaving, which would have been great, but instead he made him way over to Dan.

He shook Dan's shoulder a bit. "What have I done?

"Why don't you ask Brian, I'm sure he knows." Dan growled.

Phil backed away from him and frowned. "What's that supposed to mean."

"Well, usually when you hang out with someone you're actually supposed to converse with them."

Phil sounded hurt as he spoke. "You're working."

Dan didn't answer, he just leaned back in his chair and stared down at his keyboard.

"Are you actually kidding me?" Phil said outraged.

"What?"

"Oh so now you want to talk." Phil said.

"Says the man himself." Dan muttered. Phil didn't say anything and Dan immediately regretted it.

"What the hell is wrong with you Dan?" Phil asked furiously.

Dan didn't say anything, he was trying to think of a million ways to try and fix what was now unfolding.

"Is it Brian?"

Dan lifted his head up to meet Phil's wave crashing eyes. He wanted to say no, but he knew it wasn't true.

"I'm not blind Dan, what's your problem with him?"

"I just don't like him."

Phil looked like a wild man now, his eyes were bugged out and he had a slight smile on his lips.

"No, you're jealous, that's the problem."

Dan didn't know what to say, so he said one thing he knew was true. "I'm your boyfriend."

"Yeah, you are, so that means I can't friends without you getting pissed?" Phil was practically shouting now.

Dan didn't know how to handle this, he was scared and didn't want to be. "I think you should leave."

Phil shook his head and began gathering his stuff. "It's so hard loving you, Dan."

Dan's stomach deflated. "You love me?"

Phil didn't answer, he just began walking toward the door. "Maybe this will be good."

"What'll be good?" Dan asked.

"Just, time apart," Phil's voice broke as he cried.

Dan looked up. He didn't say anything about time apart, that's not how it's supposed to go. When you have a fight in a relationship you power through. You make up. You didn't break up.

"Why would that be good?" Dan asked miserably.

Phil looked like he was about to explode, he was red in the face and his eyes were puffy.

"I'm moving Dan, and honestly I don't think this can work."

That was a lot. Dan wanted to asked a million questions. His head was pounding over Phil's words. But instead he tried to make out a sentence. He wanted Phil to leave, he wanted him to go, but he didn't have to tell him because Phil was already out the door before he had time to tell him anything.

Dan was confused. He's never been this confused. He's heads spinning and he wants to burrow into a whole and die.

But he doesn't, because Phil loves him. He said so, so he'll try to fix this. He doesn't know how, but it can't be that hard.

At least that's what he tells himself when he cry's himself to sleep that night.