Chapter Six: Trust Him

AU: Chapter is scheduled for revision.

After a long while, the group breaks apart, sniffling and wiping their eyes while exchanging pats on the back and soft words of empathy to one another. My breaths are stuttered, but my chest is no longer locked up, and the tears have ceased from my puffy, red eyes.

Another gentle hand rests on my shoulder, and I turn to see Teresa, who pulls me into an individual hug of her own. "Losing people we care about to that virus can be very hard," she whispers almost chokingly, consolingly rubbing my back. "I would know." She pulls away from the embrace, brushing her hand down my arm. "But we'll get through it."

'I would know'? How would she know? We just exposed ourselves to the virus yesterday.

Before I can ask her what she meant, I'm interrupted. "Uh, (y/n)?" A hesitant voice says from behind. Slowly turning back around, I see Minho scratching the back of his neck, seeming a little anxious and awkward. "I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone. We're all really torn up, but that doesn't mean you can't talk to me about it if you ever need to."

I manage to give him a minuscule smile, though it is weighted with sorrow. He secretly has a heart, even though he attempts to cloak it with sarcasm and an uncontrollable attitude. "Thanks, Minho."

"No problem," he smiles weakly in return.

I don't know why, but a part of me feels like Minho's willingness to listen to one's troubles has been needed before.

"Guys," Aris speaks up softly, "we should probably get going."

Although none of us want to admit it, we know that Aris is right and that we have to keep moving.

Thomas, who hasn't said a word since we left Winston, nods, walking ahead and starting us in a single file line, once again.

As I turn to walk, weak smile vanishing as the weight of the loss grows heavier after momentarily easing during the warm embrace, Newt gently reaches for my arm. "(y/n)?"

Looking up at him questioningly, I freeze in my tracks. "Hm?"

"Would you mind if I walk alongside you?" He asks, his voice low and somber.

With my eyes shifting back and forth between each of his, reading him, I shake my head. "No, I don't mind."

He gives a similar forced smile, but it fades as soon as we start walking once again.

. . .

The pain of the loss slowly spreads from my heart, flowing through my veins and weighing my feet down, so much so that it feels as if each weighs a ton.

The sky begins to gradually shift from a pale, blinding shade of blue to a deep, burnt orange, the sun slowly sinking towards the mountains along the horizon. Fortunately, the heat grows bearable, and my sweat no longer cycles through, having time to cool my body before it evaporates in the heat.

Thomas continues to lead from the front, and he has not spoken a single word. With each passing second that he walks in silence, another pound of death's weight pushes down upon my shoulders.

Aris walks alongside Teresa, directly behind Thomas. The two of them exchange quiet words to one another, muttering so low that I'm left to wonder what they are discussing. All that I know is that Teresa initiated the conversation, attempting to distract my friend's sullen mind.

Fry follows the two with Minho walking somewhat behind and beside him. Neither of them speak as well, but Minho had moved closer to Frypan when the normally cheerful boy randomly broke beneath his own aching heart. His sniffles and the act of occasionally wiping his face with his arms had signaled the necessity of consolation, and Minho responded before anyone else could.