Birthday Magic

Emma's POV

It was only one week until my birthday and, for the first time in my life, I was looking forward to it. Mr. Hollen was throwing me a joint birthday party with his grandma. Double the cake and double the enjoyment.

When we'd gotten back to New York from Miami, he'd brought me to a bakery shop and told the bakers there what cake I would like to have on my "special day". He also said he had some special surprises for me.

Sharon extended her stay so she wouldn't be back until after my birthday, and Mrs. Hollen wouldn't be attending because she had to travel. Mr. Hollen didn't seem to care much about that. He was busy making calls for arrangements on the party.

Halley and I were in the laundry room folding clothes.

"The party is going to be amazing. I know he would go the extra mile for his grandmother, and for you."

"Thanks Halley."

"So are you going to be with him if he breaks up with Sharon?"

"I don't know. I don't want him to just leave her for me because how you get them is how you lose them. What if he leaves me for someone else?"

"That makes sense. But he's a great guy, Emma, and it seems like he cares about you."

"Yeah, but he's engaged!"

"That could easily be broken."

"Okay, now you're sounding just like him."

"Emma, do you know how your life would transform if you married him? He's a billionaire. You wouldn't have to work a day in your life."

"I don't care about that. I don't care about the money. I just care about him, but it hurts."

"I understand, but you better prepare for the wrath of Sharon."

We laughed.

__________

July 12th. Happy birthday to me!

The only thing my birth parents left me with when they dropped me off was my birth date, marked on a piece of paper, along with a note stating they couldn't take care of me anymore. I never look forward to my birthday because it was just a regular day for me, but, for the first time, I was having a birthday party. Excitement rolled around in my stomach all day.

Halley and I went shopping in the morning for an outfit and to get my hair done.

As the clock struck 5:00pm the party began. The gates were wide open and people walked in in huge numbers. A DJ was playing music outside by the pool, balloons and decorations were everywhere. Caterers walked around with finger foods and drinks. There was a chocolate fountain with strawberries to dip. 

Mr. Hollen's grandmother walked in and I greeted her kindly and led her to a seat.

"Happy Birthday," she said to me and handed me a small box.

"Happy Birthday to you, too. And thank you so much," I said as I sat down next to her. "I don't know if you remember me but I remember you."

She looked at me puzzled.

"We met at a park. You came over and sat next to me— I was reading a book and you had a newspaper. You forgot it so I ran to give it to you but I was stopped by one of your bodyguards. I still have the newspaper with me."

She smiled her sweet smile and held my hand in hers. Her eyes twinkled at me and she nodded her head. "Take care of my grandson," she said softly in my ears. 

I nodded as other people came over to wish her happy birthday.

When it was time for cake I was sitting next to Mr. Hollen's grandmother as two huge cakes were pushed in front of us. The candles indicated our ages; Mr. Hollen lit them. Everyone began to sing "Happy Birthday" and tears of joy came to my eyes. I finally was having a birthday celebration.