71. BUCKY: Becky Part 3

A/N: This was a request! Sort of short but I thought it was a good little end to the mini-series. 

Words: 1.8K

Warning: Suggestive themes

Crickets chirp through an open window—their melodic song hypnotizing a tired Y/N deeper into dreamland. She nestles cozily into the quilts of Bucky's bed. Blissfully unaware, she is, that Bucky's sitting awake beside her. He breathes out slowly to ground himself as his thoughts start to grow harder to control. Flashes of awful things splatter his brain while his anger washes over him. How could anyone dare hurt such a precious thing? Y/N's the most innocent, sweet-hearted creature Bucky's ever met. Even in these last three days that she's been forced away from her home and away from everything she knows she's managed to keep a smile on her face. Bucky encouraged her to take leave of work and stay with him at the compound for the time being. Of course this arrangement prompted an introduction to the rest of the team. Y/N was adorable, Bucky recalls with a soft smile, when she'd met his friends. She'd been so shy and unsure of herself in front of the heroes. It wasn't until she'd felt his cool metal hand on the small of her back that she visibly relaxed in the crowded room.

Now, in the darkness of the late December night, Bucky brushes a delicate lock of hair from her cheek. She nuzzles her face into his hand. His hard heart melts. This girl laying here in front of him is the best blessing he could ever hope to receive. He doesn't know what he's done to deserve such bliss, but he knows that he's eternally grateful.

Swallowing stiffly, Bucky leans over to kiss Y/N's forehead gently as to not disturb her. Her even, melodic breathing calms his soul.

When he pulls away he forces himself to stand. He's not dressed in the night clothes that he'd been wearing a few hours before when they'd been cuddled up watching TV. As soon as Y/N fell asleep Bucky was quick to change into more appropriate attire: a mission uniform.

Bucky makes for the door before hesitating. Grabbing a sheet of paper from his desk he quickly jots down a note—setting it on his empty pillow—and then leaves to meet Steve and Nat out in the hall.

Daylight freckles Y/N's vision. She whinnies and tries to roll away from the unblocked window. Her hands immediately reach out for the warmth of the man that's been accompanying her to bed the last few days. When all she finds is cold, empty space her eyes fly open wide. She sits up straight with a gasp.

"Bucky?" It's the first word to fall from her lips. She notices the note on the white pillowcase. Frowning, she grabs the folded slip with cold fingertips. In Bucky's neat handwriting he's spelled out a note for her.

Good morning, angel. Hope you slept well.

I found him. I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I'm dealing with it now: I hope you'll understand why I didn't tell you.

Don't worry about a thing, darling. This is almost done. I'll be fine. Steve and Nat are with me. By lunchtime I'll be back and this will all be over with.

I love you endlessly.

Your Becky

Y/N shakily wipes a tear from her eye. She carefully folds the note back up and rests it atop the pillow once more.

Dragging herself from the bed, Y/N goes to Bucky's bathroom. She starts the hot water and hurriedly strips herself of the sweaty sleep clothes. Ducking into the stream she tries not to cry again. She's been afraid for so long. She's been alone. She's been in danger. None of those things are true anymore; all because of a man named Bucky Barnes spilled his coffee during the shift she'd dreaded going to.