lxi.

"The laughter of a child is the light of a home."

-Unknown

***

Lisa took a second to process everything.

A man was dead on the floor.

Across from him was Namjoon, covered in blood.

He was holding a gun.

Song Eungi was frozen, staring at the dead man.

Tae had moved, running up the stairs to hug someone.

The kid Tae was hugging was Jimin.

Lisa exhaled slowly. "I'm Officer Lisa," she introduced, raising her badge for a second before dropping it back down to her side. "Nobody move." She pulled out her cell phone and speed dialed a number while watching everyone in the room. "Yeah. We're at Song Eungi's house. I'll send you the address. Be here in 10." She hung up and quickly texted the address before slipping her phone back into her pocket.

"Song Eungi, you're under arrest for child abduction," Lisa said, pushing Eungi against the wall and putting her in a pair of handcuffs. "Not to mention obstruction of justice." Once Eungi was handcuffed, Lisa went to check the dead man's pulse to affirm that he was indeed deceased.

She sighed as she pulled her fingers off of his neck. Nothing.

Namjoon seemed to unfreeze, realizing the severity of the situation, and he dropped the gun, letting it clatter to the ground from his hands. "I...it was an accident..."

Lisa pursed her lips, grabbing the gun and activating the safety before sliding it into her waistband.

"I'll argue self defense, but damn it all to Hell, Namjoon. I told you to wait for me. I told you, and you ignored me. Now, I don't know what to do..."

Namjoon stared at her helplessly.

"Namjoon, you could go to prison. What about your kids, huh? Did you think about them when you made this stupid decision?" Lisa bit down on her teeth before looking at Eungi, who stared back with wide, scared eyes.

Lisa remembered 5 years ago, when she'd made a mistake that had put her job in jeopardy. She'd broken rules, all in her desperation to beat the clock. She'd gone in without a warrant. She hadn't even had probable cause. She'd requested Jaebum to come with her, and she'd ruined his reputation too.

She should be doing this by the book.

But if she did that, Namjoon could be taken away from his kids.

To Hell with the book. "Listen," Lisa said to Eungi, crossing her arms. "You ruined this man's life. You've nearly destroyed his family. I can lock you away for at least 10 years in prison. Work with me, and I'll try to get your charges reduced somewhat. I'll include mitigating factors in your case details, how you lost your baby and were acting under the depression surrounding that, how you just needed another child to fill the hole of the one you'd lost. I'll do what I can, but you have to agree to what I tell you."

Eungi hesitated before nodding. She looked genuinely sad, and it made Lisa hesitate for a second, but then she went on, burning the book that she was supposed to operate by. "When they interrogate you and take your statement, here's what you're going to say."

Namjoon looked up, shocked.

"You're going to tell them that I came here with Namjoon." Lisa paused to hold up a warrant so Eungi could see it. "We had a warrant. We saw Jimin, Namjoon got upset, and your husband pulled a gun. Namjoon and I wrestled for control, trying to get it away from your husband, but the gun went off in the dispute. Your husband was the unfortunate victim of an accidental shooting. You didn't see who was holding the gun. After the gun went off, it was lying between all three of us. Understand?"