46 - New York

New York City - if I had a choice, I would prefer to stay away from the busy city. While the tall skyscrapers, crowded streets, and colorful billboards maybe alluring to many people, I found it all tiring and loud. In the past, I have followed my parents and Rose to New York and lived years being surrounded all the sound and people of the city. The feeling was unbearable and helpless. After reliving my life and establishing myself in the smaller, quieter New Haven, I realized how simple I prefer my environment to be.

"Calla, are you listening?"

In the back seat of the stretch limousine, I had been looking blankly outside the tinted window. When my grandfather's stern voice finally reach my senses, I turned to look at him.

"Um?"

With my nonchalant response, the old man sighed tiredly.

"Are you prepared?"

My grandfather was asking me if I was prepared for the Spring Ball. Anyone who was anybody would be there. He was reminding me not to lose my focus.

"I won't embarrass you grandpa"

He snorted like my comment was funny.

"I won't embarrass you much" I corrected with a smile.

The old man shook his head like he didn't know what to do with me. Smiling softly, I turned my attention back to the busy street outside the tinted window, feeling somewhat nostalgic.

The Spring Ball event is located in one of the city grandest hotel banquet hall. When grandfather and I entered, my eyes scanned the crowd to see several familiar faces. With a hand on the old man's arm, I followed beside him as he guided me through the banquet hall.

"James! So nice to see you"

"Mr. Lind, a pleasure to meet you"

"Mr. Lind, please meet my son"

"James, how are you my friend?"

"James, please introduce me to your lovely granddaughter"

"Mr. Lind, Miss Calla, so happy to see you both tonight"

James Lind has his usual crowd of people come to greet and mingle with him. I – on the other hand, stay quiet with a smile on my face. After all, I'm sure some people saw me as the eye-candy for the night.

"James, Calla"

Aaron Frye and his wife Mindy suddenly appeared. Of course, their son Eli Frye stood right beside them. Ignoring Eli Frye's blatant gaze, I stood beside my grandfather while the Frye family came to greet us.

"Mr. and Mrs. Frye" I tilted my head slightly, remaining polite.

The beautiful couple smile softly and returned a courteous greeting before turning to James Lind. As they made small talk, I stood there quietly looking off into the distance – wishing I was anywhere but there with Eli Frye still looking at me. Did he not get that his parents are standing right there?

"Calla dear" Mindy Frye voice was kind and soft.

My eyes went to her to see her unchanged kind smile. Growing up, I don't remember ever seeing the beautiful woman frown once. Mindy Frye was elegant and kind to everyone.

"I heard what happened..." Mindy Frye said gently. "How are you feeling dear?"

I was proud not to show any reaction to her question. I'm sure my mother vented her anger to her good friend about the recent event.

"I'm well. Thank you for asking Mrs. Frye" I remain polite.

It looked like she wanted to ask me more but refrained herself. I didn't care to probe her further and didn't want her to question me more.

"Grandpa" I turned to the old man, giving him a sweet smile so that I could get what I want. "The horderves look good. I'll be right back?"

The old man loosen arm so that my hand can slip off.

"I'll leave grandpa in your care" I joked lightly to the Frye couple before making my escape.

"I'll go with you"

I barely took a step away and Eli Frye already stood beside me.

"No, that's fine_"

"Let's go"

He boldly took my hand and led me away. Startled, I glance back at my grandpa and Eli Frye's friends who didn't seem surprised by the young man's action. Instead, they were continuing their discussion as if nothing had happened.

"Will you let go?" I didn't want to cause a scene so tried to pull away.

The man tightened his gripped instead.

"Eli Frye, what you_"

"Calla!"

I stopped when my sister's voice was heard. Turning, I saw Rose in a beautiful mint green long sleeve dress heading toward me.

How could I forget Rose and my parents are in New York?